News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Buckle on Portuguese Medals

I have a Portuguese WW1 Victory Medal ...

sPzFldw.jpg?1

It has a buckle on the ribbon, which makes it too wide to fit in the box. I assume that the buckle was put on after the issue of the medal, and I have seen pictures of other Portuguese medals with buckles on the ribbon. Why are they put on? Is it just a piece of bling that the recipient fancied, or is it significant in some way? Any help gratefully received.

Bill

Many thanks Paul. I contacted the Academia Falerística de Portugal to ask about buckles on Portuguese medals. Senhor Paulo Estrela of the Academia sent this reply:

The buckle, a Portuguese type device, usually is a part of Portuguese decorations; 
    but after 1971 regulation Portuguese military medals lost it and nowadays almost none 
    is award with.

So, for Portugal’s Victory Medal a bronze buckle is required according with regulation.
    After one year, it was decided to issue a small silver star (to be wear on the buckle’s
    center) to distinguished the combatants from the so-called non-combatants veterans.
    However, many combatants never applied to receive it, even because it was decided after
    many people returned to their civilian status.

So, there we have it - all Portuguese WW1 Victory medals should have the buckle ...

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    spellin of the weak