News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

London Gazette Postings For Acting / Temporary Promotions ?

Hello Gentleman,    Here's a relatively simple query, but one I'm truly hoping to find an definitive answer for ? As some here on the GMIC may have noticed, I've been attempting to document the long military career on an 1921 M.B.E. recipient, & would like to determine the correct, & or accepted, preferred & or 'in use' practice when documenting an Officer's promotion to an 'Acting, & or 'Temporary' rank ? The Officer I'm researching most assuredly help a Captain's rank, though it may have been either an Acting or Temporary type. >>> My question is;  Would his promotion to either Acting & or Temporary Captain have been 'Gazetted' or not ? <<< I know that I've observed numerous mentions of each type in the L.G., but was their posting in the Gazette an actual requirement, or left up to the digression of the command doing the posting ? If I'm able to gain an firm answer regarding this practice, I may be getting closer to solving this particular riddle. THANK YOU Gents,

Best,   dpast32  /  dpast32@aol.com

First a technical point - Great War British officers are not 'promoted' to acting or temporary rank, rather they are 'appointed.'  Many, if not most,  temporary and/or acting ranks are mentioned in the London Gazette.  They are also often mentioned in Monthly and Half-Yearly Army Lists

If you give us your officer's name we may be able to help.

THANK YOU 'Gunner 1', I will truly appreciate it !  Firstly, I 'm glad you advised me regarding the appointed, as opposed to promoted fact. I really hadn't thought very much about it. Now, the Officer in question was; Lieutenant George CRAIG, of the 2nd Battalion, the Border Regiment.

Please see;   https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/156159988/person/382059931255/facts

He had enlisted in the Ranks during 1905, at Edinburgh  (Scotland) & served primarily with HQ Company of 17th Lancers as an Trumpeter. He was so!missions 2nd Lieutenant in Border Regiment in mid 1917. ( Initially w/ 3rd Bn., then the 2nd Bn. ) Finished up WW1 w/ 2nd Border's, & went to County Mayo, Ireland just after WW1. He received an M.B.E. in Ireland for 'gallantry during operations' on 03 May 1921 while commanding his 2 Lewis Guns against an IRA ambush. ( aka 'The Tourmakeady Affair', on the above noted date. Per L.G. 27 September 1921 ) His 1st 'retirement' was on 02 June 1922, 'Retired on Retired Pay', & then again, apparently For good circa 1929, or so. ( I think ) Well, then along came WW2, & he was 're-activated' or something similar in 1938. I've found him in the 1938 - 1941 Army Lists, all with a Lieutenant's rank. My only 'real' confirmation that Craig did in fact hold a Captain's rank, at least for time, is the reference to it within his Wife's Will, which I assume is a legal document. Please see my Ancestry Tree LINK above to view it. Craig passed away in Durham I believe in June of 1952. I'm still working on him, but would truly love to solve the Captain's rank issue. THANKS again,

Best regards,  dpast32 / dpast32@aol.com

P.S.: I forgot to add, the initial reason I had cause to believe Craig had been a Captain was due to his M.B.E. being named to him as, 'Captain George Craig '. 

Edited by dpast32

There is a 'G. Craig, Indian Army' listed in the London Gazette of 19 April 1921 as a 'Lieutenant to be Captain' effective 30 Jan 1921, but there is no indication of an MBE so it does not look like your man.  The January 1928 Half Yearly Army List indicates that George Craig, MBE  retired as a Lieutenant.  If he actually held the acting/temporary appointment as a Captain he would usually be listed at retirement as a 'Lieutenant (rank of Captain).'

I've been thinking about all the various scenarios that could be relevant here, but ? And if course, there's still the 2 mentions of him as a Captain ? 1st, why would his Wife's Will refer to him as such ? 2nd, His M.B.E. had been known to collectors since at least 1984, named to him as a Captain. The medal itself is an older example, 1919 proofed. Honestly, I've been researching medals for over 45 years now, & I have to admit this one's a real bugger ! 

Best,    dpast32

Edited by dpast32

Three observations (you may already be aware of them):

1. There are at least three officers with the name "G. Craig" in the November 1918 Army List

2.  The MBE was/is issued unnamed, so that any naming would be unofficial.

3.  There are service papers for a Lieutenant George Craig, Border Regiment at The National Archives under WO 339/104131

Edited by Gunner 1

Hi Gunner, THANKS again ! Yup, I've already been there. I received his 65 page Officer's Svc File a week or two ago, & although it's somewhat comprehensive, almost 35%+ of it is related to injuries he suffered in 1917, & 1918. Sadly, many of the pages tend to be almost unreadable, while others exhibit terms & codes that I'm really not familiar with ? It is possible that there is a reference in it, buried somewhere noting him as a Captain, though I haven't been able to find it. I'm reference to the unofficial naming, both I & other experienced British collector's have observed more than a few named M.B.E.'s throughout the years. This example was formerly part of Tom Nier's collection, & he was fully satisfied with it. Obviously, his Wife was convinced he was a Captain, at least for a time. It just doesn't make sense for her to include that rank in her Will ? ( She drowned in the River Foss, in York during November 1945. ) And, why would Craig, who had served H.M. Forces since age 16 incorrectly name his M.B.E., which appears to be his only gallantry decoration. ( His other medals are campaign & coronation, as in 1911 Deli Durbar, & 1914 Star - WW1 Trio ) It just doesn't add up for him to his-representative is final rank ? I'm doing my best to find his  grave location & perhaps a photo of his Gravestone. It will be interesting to see what rank, if any is listed on it ?

Best,   dpast32

dpast32:  Just wanted to note that I never indicated that MBEs were never named - I have two unofficially-named MBEs - I indicated that no MBEs were ever officially named.  In regards to Craig's rank, I wonder if he might have held the local rank of Captain or held an acting rank for a short period in Ireland, neither of which would necessarily be gazetted in the London Gazette nor give him the possibility of retiring as an "Honourable Captain'.  He is listed in my copy of the April 1922 Army List as a Lieutenant.

Hello Gunner1,  At this point in my research, I'm tending to believe that your above theory is the most probable. Perhaps he was appointed to a Captain's rank, either before or after his initial retirement from the 'Regular Army on 02 June 1922, IIRC. After that, it appears as if he served in the 'Reserve of Officers', a although his Reserve years aren't quite as well documented as is earlier years. The Indian Army G. Craig intrigues me somewhat, although deep down I really don't think it's him. And, I've noted that the date the 'Indian' Craig was posted to be a Captain was prior to the action in which he earned his M.B.E. ? ( M.B.E. action was on 03 May 1921 / L.G. on 27 September 1921 ) Probably just meaningless data, but worth a look I thought. )  I'm certain that as additional data becomes available online, we'll learn the full story of Lt. / Capt. George Craig, but unfortunately that may not be for a few years ? I learned years ago that sometimes you solve these riddles at the least expected times. I have an M.M. ( Geo. VI, WW2 ) that had been awarded to an American for his actions on Christmas day & night 1944. Talk about a tough research project, anyone & everyone told me I'd never solve that one. Well, after much great effort, along with the assistance of a UK friend & the PRO at Kew, we solved it. ( And, what an interesting story it revealed. ) Another interesting story revealed was an WW1 M.M. awarded to a Canadian somewhat early in the War. I purchased it as an 'Somme / Courcellette' award, tough further investigation proved it to be a a bit more desirable 'St. Eloi Craters' example. And lastly, a rather I purchased as a 'basic' WW1,Trio turned out to belong to a family member of one of the founding families of South Africa. I guess that's one reason we all collect, the preliminary hunt ! THANKS again Gunner, I'll let you know if I come up with any additional information. 

Take care,   Dom  /  dpast32@aol.com

Dom:  I just checked the Half-Yearly Supplement to the Monthly Army List for June 1927 (list all Reserve of Officers) and Craig is listed as Lieutenant, Border Regiment, Class II Reserve with a date of rank of 27 Dec 18.  

I just realized who you are.  We corresponded a number of years ago but I cannot remember the circumstance.

Regards, Gunner 1

THANKS again !!!  Oh BTW,  I forgot to mention the 3rd 'reference' I had to Craig as a Captain. When obtained, I also received some assorted paperwork from the seller. One document was from a researcher here in the US who specialized in UK & Commonwealth medals. ( RE: Richard 'Dick' Crawford, of Peekskill, NY USA   ) He reported Craig as a Captain, along with is overall dates of service. He list the following dates as his sources;  "Army List, 1918 Quarterly" / "Army List, March 1920 Monthly" / "London Gazette, 28 September 1921" <<< END.  Just note that in the L.G. Date of 28 Sept., I found Craig on the 27th, not 28th ? I checked with a few older collectors as to who Crawford was, & they all replied that he was was absolutely top notch, & his reference was always spot on. Soooo, that also adds to the Captain's credibility, I think ? Honestly, if I hadn't read about the Tourmakeady ambush & Craig's participation it it, I wouldn't have grabbed it as it's not my primary collecting focus. But, as I delved ever deeper into Craig's service career, I felt I had better take it or I'd almost surely regret it down the road. As always, the hunt goes on !! Take care Gunner,

Best,       Dom