News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wall mounting hooks for dirks

I have a couple of dirks with their scabbards to place inside a framed display case, which has approximately 2 in. (5 cm) depth.

I intend to place them in horizontal position. Do you know of any hooks or method to mount knives/dirks on a display case?

Hi Blackrose,

Personally I have always stayed away from hooks. Not only do you run the chance of a reaction between the metal of the hook and the steel in the blade the item may be accidentally knocked off the hooks and require opening the display case to remount the item. This may not be a problem and I may not understand exactly what you are using for the display case. I have mounted daggers in shadowboxes and used light weight fishing line (6 lb / 2.7 kg) called Trilene. This is transparent and almost invisible. You can mount the items on a backing board "sewing" them on and then mount the backboard into the display. If you ever need to remove the items just take the back board out of the display and cut the line. Then simply remount them if needed later on. 

This has always worked for me and in several decades of collecting and mounting weapons for display and never been a problem.

Let us know how you make out and if possible show us the results. I'm sure other members would also be interested.

Good luck

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your reply and useful information. You got the idea right!

I like the idea of using fishing line for *exactly* all the reasons you mention.

I’m including a picture of the display case for the dirks, which will be exhibited in a room as part of a collection of Royal Navy items (museum style). I also include one with a jacket to show how the display case will look like when finished. 

I’ll post a picture of the finished case when I get the product and the items assembled.

Cheers from River Plate,

Cin

00.jpg

01.jpg

Edited by Blackrose

• 9 months later...

After a long time I finally managed to have the dirks in place. I used a Trilene monofilament, but I suggest using a multifilament instead, just in case. The displays look pretty good. Thank you for your useful advice Brian!

Cin

00.jpg

Thank you Claudius. Some holes had to be done on the back so I could pass the filament through. This is not a professional work and I had no reference pictures, so I had to improvise. I’m sure this can be done better. I hope you find the pictures useful. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg