News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Circa 1820 US cavalry sword Ketland eagle ?

Rick64

Just picked this up and I have a few questions maybe some members can answer . First off I'm assuming this is circa 1820 although exact date I'm not so sure any information appreciated . The pommel appears be the type of Ketland eagle , no visual foundry marks anywhere but I think maybe French or English so can anyone confirm this !mThe base metal appears a silver colour on the pommel and handle with a brass wash ! Was this a normal process of manufacturing? Like I said any comments appreciated .

Many thanks Rick  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My first reaction was 'War of 1812 era', about what you said.  At that time officers wore pretty much what they chose, with cavalry and gunners and even infantry wearing curved blades.  The eagle's head, in about 4 variants, was very popular.  Apparently standardized patterns came in about 1820 and lasted till 1840.  Of course, if it ism private purchase, as many were, or a presentation piece,  all bets are off as to 'correct pattern'.

This site shows two types which look very similar to yours, both 'Artillery', though listed in the 'Cavalry' section of the page.  http://arms2armor.com/Swords/usswords.htm#CAVALRY.  Well worth reading the info. there. 

This site suggest that most swords with 'langets' on the hilt were German made at this period.  The blued blade and etching suggests perhaps a presentation sword to me and very  probably European  made, though I'm no expert and the Americans were making some of their own swords by then.  But '1820' seems a safe guess barring a more exact ID.

Edited by peter monahan

• 4 weeks later...