News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help in tracing officer of 13 Dragoner 1902-1913

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but I'll pose the question anyhow:

I've been researching an Imperial German cavalry officer by the name of C. Röβler (spelled Roeβler in the ranglisten). I believe he attended the Kreigsschule in Metz in 1899 and then joined the reserve officers of the No. 13 Dragoner in 1902. He was awarded the Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung (LD2) in 1910 and promoted to Oberstleutnant in 1911. He was still on the reserve officer list in the 1913 rangliste. I suspect he was mobilized in 1914 and continued to serve in the 13th, but don't know where to look to confirm that and continue the research.

Any suggestions or guidance would be very welcome and deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Roeßler who was a reserve officer in DR 13 had transitioned to the Landwehr by 1914. He is in the 1914 rank list as an Oberleutnant der Landwehr-Kavallerie 2. Aufgebot in Landwehrbezirk V Berlin. He was promoted to Rittmeister der Landwehr on 24.12.1914, and was serving at the time with the Munitions-Kolonnen und Trains of the III. Reserve-Korps.

Also, the 1908 and 1911 rank lists for reserve and Landwehr officers give Roeßler's civilian information as being a Kaufmann living at Altonaerstraße Nr. 27. According to the Berlin address books, the Kaufmann living at this address was named Bernhard. 

Thanks, Dave. That's much appreciated.

My guy is definitely C. Roeβler, so perhaps Bernhard was his father. Perhaps I'll be able to determine his first name by working down a generation.

Did the authorities publish rank lists during all the war years?

Other than Bavaria, the only official publications during the war were seniority lists for active officers. Bavaria published a Militär-Handbuch in 1916. Promotions in general were published in the Militär-Wochenblatt and similar publications for Bavaria, Saxony and Württemberg.