News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PANAMA MEDAL FROM SPI SERVICE OF INSTITUTIONAL PROTECTION

Hello Gentlemen,

I had recently the opportunity to acquire 3 Medals from Panama, from the SPI ( Servicio de Proteccion Institucional in spanish ) . 

In Panama many services were reorganized after the fall of General Noriega. The SPI, Servicio de Proteccion Institutional was created 17 February 1990, as a part of 4 component of the Public Forces ( Fuerza Publica ), the 3 others are the Policia Nacional ( National Police ), the Servicio Nacional Aeronaval ( SENAN ), and the Servicio Nacional de Fronteras ( SENAFRONT ). These 4 groups are of a size of 30.000 Servicemen, of which 2000 are from the SPI.

The mission of the SPI is to assume the protection of the President of the Republic of Panama, the Vice President, the Minister of the Government of Panama, their close families, and also the protection of former President of the Republic. The SPI is also responsible for the security of the Presidential Palace, and some of the installation of the Canal of Panama.

Here you can see the seal of this Service and also an unit badge.

In further post I will present the medal I have acquired.

Most collector got to know the usual Orders from Panama, Order of Balboa, Order of Amador Guerrero, and Order of Belisario Porras ( all 3 instituted before Noriega ). During the Noriega era some others awards were instituted, like the Order of Omar Torrijos, which was then a single class Order, but the name was retain as higher Order of Panama, later (but insignia are completely different). Later on the Order of Arnulfo Arias Madrid was instituted in 2003 (these last 2 awards exist only in 3 ranks : Collar with Badge, Grand Cross with gilded breast star, and Grand Cross with silvered breast star). But besides of these, 5, exist several military decoration that existed only during the Noriega era. Also exist red crosses awards specific to Panama, and a large quantity of Firefighter Awards, for each of the municipality. I have visited ounce a local collector in Panama City, and he had a fantastic frame with almost all of them.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Panama SPI Escudo del Servicio de Protección Institucional.png

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional badge of unit.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the SPI, Servicio de Proteccion Institucional, Medal por Acción de Valor ( Medal for Heroic Action ).

This medal is in metal gilt, very good quality (with hot enamel), multi part construction,. On reverse the manufacturer mark : BLACKINTON followed by the R of "registered" and the letters K K.

Its diameter is 39 Millimeters, and its weight 22 Grammes.

I do not have the ribbon, but I have found on internet a photo from one such award to Somar Gallardo Saldana at the end of October 2014. On the text on the twitter account from which I have downloaded these 2 photo, it is written that the award is : Condecoracion Valor Heroico.

I can bet the awards to the SPI are very very rare. And few have been awarded.

I have searched many many times for more evidence on the net, but I have not found any, maybe Ilja could help in such quest.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Valor obverse.jpg

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Valor reverse.jpg

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional hallmarks on reverse.jpg

Panama SPI Medal Act of Valor to Somar Gallardo Saldana 1.jpg

Panama SPI Medal Act of Valor to Somar Gallardo Saldana 2.jpg

Here is the Distinguished Service Medal of the SPI ( Service of Institutional Protection ). Medal de Servicio Distinguido.

The medal is in metal gilt (or silver-gilt), beautifull quality multi part construction.

The diameter of the medal is 45 Millimeters and its weight 22 Grammes.

On reverse there is the manufacturer mark BLACKINTON R for registered, and K  K 

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Distinguished Service obverse.jpg

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Distinguished Service reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Merit Medal of the SPI ( Service of Institutional Protection ). Medalla Honor al Merito.

The medal is in metal gilt, or silver-gilt and hot enamel. Beautifull quality multi part construction.

The medal is 35 x 44 Millimeters and its weight is 24 Grammes.

On reverse the manufacturer mark BLACKINTON & R for registered, and the letters K  K

Regards to all.

Emmanuel 

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Merit obverse.jpg

Panama SPI Servicio Proteccion Institucional Medal of Merit reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is 2 photo of an awards to SPI Servicemen.

It's obvious that the medal which is awarded in this particular ceremony is not among the 3 shown above (could be a another SPI Award). But watch the Officer in the medal, he is wearing as metal ribbon bar, the ribbon of the Medal Honor al Merito.

Regards to all

Emmanuel

Panama SPI Medal 1.jpg

Panama SPI Medal 2.jpg

Edited by heusy68