News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

D-Day relics on Trebah embarkation beach, Cornwall.

I took these photos in 2007 in Trebah Gardens in Cornwall.  The beach there was used as an embarkation beach by the US for D-day.  The photo of the undergrowth shows trenches dug by US anti-aircraft gun crews.  The beach photos show concrete square blocks that look like huge chocolate bars.  The blocks formed a concrete mat that covered the beach so tanks could drive on to the landing craft.  Unfortunately, last time I went all the blocks has been cleared away and the trenches no longer visible.

Trebah Gardens used to make quite a bit of its D-day connection, with quite a few displays and notice boards around.  Unfortunately all that seems to have been removed now too and apart from a small monument down by the beach, there's nothing linking it to D-day now.

Fowey 2006 054.jpg

Fowey 2006 048.jpg

Fowey 2006 047.jpg

Edited by Duncan