Gentlemen,

Maybe a silly question, but did the Hungarian Honved produce rank lists during the period 1919 to 1938? I suspect that there nothing produced between 1919 to around 1925.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted (edited)

The Hungarian Defense Ministry of the Titular Monarchy published ranklists of the Honved for the first time in 1927 and for the last time in 1944.  The Gendarmerie published its own ranklists every single year until 1944.  What kind of information are you looking for from those lists?  Simi. 

Edited by Simius Rex

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for the information.  

I am after general information, nothing specific.   What title did the rank list have and are any of them available on-line (especially the early ones pre 1930's)? 

Regards,

Ian

Edited by Ian

Posted (edited)

The Hungarian ranklists are called Magyar Királyi Honvédség Névkönyve.  The Honvéd started publishing its ranklists during the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy because the Honvéd was a separate entity from the Austrian army. The Horthy period ranklists were destroyed by the communists and the few surviving volumes are stored in the permanent collection of the War History Institute and Museum in Budapest.  What kinds of general things do you want to know about them? Simi. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=magyar+királyi+honvédség+névkönyve&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi7gtXW3PXpAhUEON8KHcJYA58Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=magyar+királyi+honvédség+névkönyve&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1D7PFj7PGCNQGgAcAB4AIABSYgBSZIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=bQXgXvuXK4Tw_AbCsY34CQ&bih=631&biw=1270&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS777US777 

M.Kir.H.Nevkonyve.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Thanks for the reply and the link.   As I suspected the Communist Government destroyed or hid away the Horthy era rank lists.

I am trying to ascertain the final rank of three Officers;

vitéz Módly Zoltan (28 Mar 1882 – 25 Jul 1966) - Hungarian GM                                                                                                             vitéz ruhmwerthi Rapaich Richárd (19 Jun 1882 – 09 Jun 1973) - Hungarian GM                                                                               dormándi Dormándy Géza () – Hungarian ezredes?

Posted (edited)

Very interesting topic.  I would like to know where I can access or obtain these ranklists as well. 

Thank you very much for the information so far...

Edited by garfordhouse

Well, I have good news and I have bad news.  As I previously mentioned, the War History Institute & Museum in Budapest has the records you need.  They were digitalized several years ago so internet users could have access to those records.  The bad news is that the server where these records are stored is old and outdated and is constantly flahing error messages when you try to look something up.  Therefore, you will need to contact the Institute directly either by email or telephone.  Here is a link.  Notice that halfway down the page is a list of the ranklists available.  Simi.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050205214203/http://www.hm-him.hu/hadt.php3?page=300    

Excellent, and thank you.