News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Subhi Bey - Mutasarriff (Governor) of Jerusalem

oamotme

Gentlemen,

I am researching Subhi Bey as it appears he received the Order of the Star of Ethiopia whilst Governor of Jerusalem - 1908/9.

Of Albanian descent he was the first appointed Governor following the Young Turk Revolution and is remembered as a conscientious Governor who instituted the Jerusalem Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture and tried to stimulate the local economy. Before his appointment he was Director of Commerce at the Ministry for Public works in Constantinople. Details of his life and career are proving to be elusive. I believe the Ethiopian award relates in some manner to support of the Ethiopian Church and property in Jerusalem but I am unaware of specific details. 

My query is whether as Governor of Jerusalem, a direct appointment of the Ottoman Sultan, he would automatically receive one of the Ottoman Orders - Medije or Osmanie? Of course he may have been in receipt of an order in recognition of his previous role. A photograph of Subhi Bey would be nice but to date I have and no success in locating one.

Many thanks,

Owain