News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vilppularisti/Vilppula cross

Hi Gents,

A quick question. I know the cross was established in 1938 and awarded to those who took part in Battle of Vilppula in 1918.

I found 4 different types of this cross, can anyone tell me which of them were officially awarded and which are private purchase items? Or at least what was the earlier type of the cross from these four? Any info is welcome!

1. Type one, made of bronze. Often met on old medal bars, I believe I've seen an example of this type among Mannerheim medals.

11264733_fullsize.jpg

11264734_fullsize.jpg

Emil Karvonen medals.JPG

2. Type 2, made of iron.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. Type 3, bronze again

0.jpg

a.jpg

4. And a final one, made of iron.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The cross was found 1938 by the frontmen of Vilppula and Mänttä to commemorative the 20th anniversary of the Vilppula battles. They order first 1500 crosses, but this was not enought. The cross was type 1 and 4, (is type 1 really bronze, not iron?). The next order of these iron made crosses was probably type 2. The crosses was awarded by the Mänttä homeguard. The office of Mänttä homeguard was destroyed by an air strike during the Winter War in January 1940. Part of the documents and all the stock of not yet awarded crosses was destroyed.
    The first crosses was made in Turku by company Suomen Kultasepät Oy (?). But about from the year 1942 new crosses was manufactured by Kunniamerkkitehdas Oy/Tillander in Helsinki. These crosses are type 4. Tillander has used few different lion models in these crosses.

There are also type 5 (Tillander) which have different font in the reverse side numbers "1918".

On 22/01/2021 at 21:47, Tuomas said:

The cross was found 1938 by the frontmen of Vilppula and Mänttä to commemorative the 20th anniversary of the Vilppula battles. They order first 1500 crosses, but this was not enought. The cross was type 1 and 4, (is type 1 really bronze, not iron?). The next order of these iron made crosses was probably type 2. The crosses was awarded by the Mänttä homeguard. The office of Mänttä homeguard was destroyed by an air strike during the Winter War in January 1940. Part of the documents and all the stock of not yet awarded crosses was destroyed.
    The first crosses was made in Turku by company Suomen Kultasepät Oy (?). But about from the year 1942 new crosses was manufactured by Kunniamerkkitehdas Oy/Tillander in Helsinki. These crosses are type 4. Tillander has used few different lion models in these crosses.

There are also type 5 (Tillander) which have different font in the reverse side numbers "1918".

Terve Tuomas,

Thank you soooo much! Kiitos!