News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed with a few more South African medals

Marcon1

Hiya,

Again, after long searching the Internet and not finding what I need I turn to you fellow forum users.

Who can tell me more about these medals:

1)

Clip_2.jpg.c3d0dc88605ddc09ba56ede995c69545.jpgClip_3.jpg.4a65e56e187a42e35d4279f08d315c71.jpg

FULL SIZE SA ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION MEDAL AWARD TO C.G. CLOETE 28/07/93-AWARDED TO MEMBERS WHO GUARDED THE INSTITUTION,NORMALLY EX POLICE MEMBERS -NUMBERED 50-SCARCE.

Are these official, semi-official or just private medals ?

Is the ribbon correct ? (looks the same as the one for the Southern Cross Decoration).

Why were these issued, long service/loyal service/bravery/otherwise ?

When were these issued, i.e. from which year until .... ?

Are there other medals issued by the SA Atomic Energy Commssion ?

If so, details and photo's please.

2)

Clip.jpg.39d3f9cb91d0f7e85ef9be2e2616b8e5.jpg  

South Africa Ekandustria Fire Department Dedicated Service Medal

Are these official, semi-official or just private medals ?

Is the ribbon correct ?

When were these issued, i.e. from which year until .... ?

Are there other medals issued by the Ekandustria Fire Department, long service/bravery/otherwise ?

If so, details and photo's please.

3)

Clip_4.jpg.f695ef22f269c78755595937352e10ed.jpg 713994422_Clip_5(2).jpg.17d3ef0cfa93af08e8e8f9560cf717b3.jpg

South Africa Girl Guides Long Service Medal with Ribbon

A Guider (volunteer adult leader) who has 10 years Service with an Adult Leader Qualification in the Organisation, not necessarily continuous, not entirely in South Africa, is entitled to the Long Service Award. 

Does anyone know what the marking on the back says, i.e. silver or something else ?

Clip_6.jpg.10fb058187ed78638007f897b98f46f6.jpg

Full Size Girl Guide Order of the Silver Protea/Springbok.

Awarded to a member for extremely good service to the Movement, both in and outside her Region.  She should have served for at least 15 years and in more than one capacity.

Does anyone have a photo of the back and of any other SA Girl Guides medals ??

I looked at their homepage and emailed them for advice but nothing came of it, I guess the girl guides are not that helpful.

4)

Clip_7.thumb.jpg.2229ae2b03901313d69949f116f02939.jpg

South African Girl Guides Fortitude Medal.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a South African issue ? (Does not seem to have the Springbok or SA on the front.

Thank you all in advance for your trouble answering my questions.

Marcon1.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

No replies so far 😢

I bought a second South Africa Ekandustria Fire Department Dedicated Service Medal, are there any others out there ??

1.jpg.2e18dd10bc3aaef501c6c135bf5c8578.jpg

As you can see it is different than the earlier mentioned one, but the questions are the same - any answers ??

Also, does anyone know more of this medal and any related ones.

2.jpg.b9a4d6ab4e7a0dc173c66c744dd21c4b.jpg

3.jpg.20ef1d480b3590a3d743446f49e74d76.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9bcde9e89a87bf834768d8e0d1f828a3.jpg

Rare Gilt Gallantry Medal of the Pathfinder Boy Scouts of the Union of South Africa.

GILT GALLANTRY MEDAL OF THE PATHFINDER BOY SCOUT ASSOCIATION OF THE UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA

During the late 1930s, the South African Branch of the Boy Scouts Association consisted of the European Boy Scouts, the Pathfinder Boy Scouts, the Indian Boy Scouts and the Coloured Boy Scouts.

Each of these were intended to cater for a specific racial grouping and was self-governing.  The Pathfinder Boy Scouts (otherwise referred to as Bantu Boy Scouts) was intended for the “Native races”.

Each had their own insignia and awards and this, rare example, is of a Gilt Gallantry Medal of the Pathfinder Movement.  It is similar in design to the Scout Association Gallantry Medal.

Does anyone know of other medals for any of these 4 branches ??

Photo's and information please.

With thanks, Marcon1.

Add. info on the first medal at the beginning of this topic.

In regards to the medal to the AEC.  I have a Silver and Gold one to them.  From the guy who sold me the pair he said they were ex-policemen who worked as security for the AEC and these are their Long Service Medals.  I have no idea how many were awarded. I have had these medals for almost 20 years and it was sensitive at the time to ask too many questions.

My guy was based at the Pelindaba facility and he said his friends in the Police were getting LSM’s and thats how these came into existence.  I don’t believe there are many in existence.

I received this information from someone in South Africa.

Marcon1.

Edited by Marcon1