News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Banner of Scotland

Hi,

I came across this interesting photo. It was taken in the village Opatje selo in the vicinity of Trieste (today in Slovenia). I guess it was taken between may and june 1945.

My attention was drawn to the flag on the building. I was able to identify the flag as the Royal Banner of Scotland. I also find out that this flag is used officially at the Scottish royal residences when the Queen is not in residence and that several Great Officers of State who officially represent the Monarchy in Scotland are permitted to use the Royal Banner of Scotland. But I couldn’t find anything about its military use.

I will be grateful for any information about its military use. Is this flag traditionally hung by Scottish regiments (there are Scottish soldiers on this picture – IMO from London Scottish  or Scots Guards, who were at that time in the Trieste area)? Why there is only the Royal Banner of Scotland and no Junion Jack?

There is also a road sign “61 MAIN”, which can be seen on that photo. Any idea about its meaning?

Best regards, Sebastijan

Opatje selo - 1.jpg