News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi just finished mounting my latest NZ group and nice three medal group for Korea War Service

Awarded to:

Name: Wilson A.A

Service Number: 106125

Service: Royal New Zealand Navy

Medals: New Zealand Operational Service Medal, Korea Medal, United Nations (Korea) Medal

Regards

C

20210914_170753.jpg

Hello Cazack,

You prob have this 

He is listed in "the NZ Korea Roll" by Howard Chamberlain  page 437

106125 LSig WILSON Arthur Alan  RNZN  HMNZS Kaniere  Depart NZ 02-March 53  RTNZ 02-March 54.

Discharged from RNZN 27 Jan 55. he enlisted in the RNZNVR on 1 Jan 1960 until discharged as a Chief Signalman  26 April 1967.. Medals offered for sale May 1982 for $ 125.

He would be entitled to the NZGSM (non warlike) clasp Korea 1954-57 , the NZ Defence Service medal clasps Regular and Territorial ,and the South Korean War Medal.

I haven't pinned down the correct naming style for the RNZN for Korea . And many NZ naval medals for Korea were issued unnamed. Is his NZ Operational Service Medal an original? As it wasn't inst until 2002. It might cost a bit but all the missing medals he is entitled too are available in Nz and Australia as replicas.

Thanks for sharing ..nice group

JIM

Hi Jim

thanks for the info

the NZOSM is genuine, issued nu-named as many were and the naming on both Korea medals are official replacements and seem correctly named in the same style as another NZ Korea pairs I have in my collection as I think only New Zealand named the UN Korea

regards

Hi again Jim

I take it that ""the NZ Korea Roll" by Howard Chamberlain is a book and where could I buy one

regards

Hello

Yes the Roll is a book. I got mine from the publisher (who is the author) at  clas.chamberlain@xtra.co.nz

That was a few years ago though.

The Auckland Museum Cenotaph  search site will confirm name numbers and rank and other basic information as well.

www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph

From memory I think Australia Canada and I think South Africa named the UN Korea medal.

Kind regards

Jim