News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Austrian (KuK) 1869 sabre.

Schlange

Hi.

I have question about Kuk 1869 sabre.
    Is it normal that officer dress version was converted to combat one by adding to combat blade and scabbard?
    On scabbard was removed throat screws / rivets and than scabbard was nickle plated. Blade is also plated.

Thank you all in advance

Schlange

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

If I understood correctly, it's possible that some an ordinary military KuK military sabre M1869 be converted in officer version by change P guard (basket), plated old scabbard and blade, remove scabbard screw (To look more like  officer version.) and re-wrapping the fish-skin grip? 

Some sabre photos:

P2560663.jpg

P2560664.jpg

P2560665.jpg

P2560666.jpg

P2560667.jpg

P2560668.jpg

P2560670.jpg

P2560672.jpg

P2560673.jpg

P2560674.jpg

My first impression about these one sabre that looks like "Frankenstein" created in new time.

But, all parts show same identical aging, and blade have traces old lubricating grease. 

Looks like it's not from yesterday IMO:

Sabre pin on scabbard looks reworked, but also has some corrosion.

I appreciate any help about these theme. 

Schalnge

Edited by Schlange

Yes, if items are reworked in new era.

But if they are reworked in period, that is other story.

Also I dont see any traces of polishing ray skin on hadle?

Skin on these handle is take from bigger adriatick sea ray exsample, (That's why the wheelbase is a little bigger.), and the final tanning is very well preserved. There is, however, fading at the edges where it comes in contact with the metal and stress ouside condition.

If is skin polished, there will be black remains on handle wire, without any fading on ray skin.

Schlange

All  sabre metal parts are nickle plated. (Nickle plating proccses.) And all show some age - same type. (Hilt basket, and scabbard.)

Blade is also nickle plated, but it has some type old oil / grees - which is hardened on the blde surface. That whay blade looks blurry.

Schlange