News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen,
    today I bought this Gurkha knife.
    Can someone tell me if this is a worn original or a modern copy.
    What does the stamp on the blade mean.
    1917 will be the year of manufacture and
    37 will be the depotnumber.

Can the knife be assigned to a unit?
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with it, I bought it because I really liked it. 
    regards Andreas

Gurkhamesser (1).JPG

Gurkhamesser (2).JPG

Gurkhamesser (3).JPG

Gurkhamesser (4).JPG

Gurkhamesser (5).JPG

Gurkhamesser (6).JPG

Gurkhamesser (7).JPG

Gurkhamesser (8).JPG

Gurkhamesser (9).JPG

Hello spolei,

I would say - congratulations - onto an original (off course holding it in my hands could confirm or deny it far better) you wouldn't happen to have the sheath?

Usually the new - productions, do not display the detail of brass and steel bolting of the handle to the blade, or that kind of wood selection.

It would be a GI3 (MK2) Kukri introduced from 1913 onward, see link:

https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/blog/top-5-standard-gurkha-knives

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

40 minutes ago, spolei said:

Thank you for the determination, I am even happier.
    I look at the link (so much English is always a challenge for me ? ). 
    Habe die Ehre Andreas

Weil Du es bist - nochmal auf Deutsch

https://ousuca.com/gurkha-kukri-messer/

Die Deutsche website erklaert auch die "Originalitaet" besser.

Oh almost forgot; the marking could be Company 1 and then repeat 1st Co of Gurkha Bataillion 2

Hob I deehre

Andreas

Edited by v.Perlet

Hallo spolei,

just because this specific author has not come across a Kukri with brass fixtures dating from WW1, doesn't imply to me that it wouldn't, couldn't exist.

If I take a close look at your Kukri (photo 4) the brass at the hilt seems to be a coating (beschichtet und nicht massiv aus Messing, oder ein aufgesetztes messingteil) since the widened steelhilt can be seen underneath. Which would confirm that it is a hand forged blade. (not a total tourist rubbish Kukri). That there are different versions for (Blutrille) is nothing uncommon to me.

The wood and the brass bolting with an inner steel bolt look good to me - the only thing that kind of disturbs me is the appearance of the markings on the blade.

The appearance of a blade is always depended on the steel-metal quality the blacksmith used - the temperature used during the forging process and last not least as to how the owner or owners maintained the blade.

Does the weight and measurement  of your Kukri correspond with the data from the German website?

In the worst case you still got a hand-forged Kukri.

Khukuri-KIinge-Test.jpg

Edited by v.Perlet

Hi there,

the dimensions in the German video refer to a civilian knife. The weight is the same (my knife 715 grams), the length and width differ (blade length 33 cm, total length 45 cm, blade width 0.6 cm). The blade is hand forged. The knife wasn't expensive and it will stay with me.

Gruß Andreas