News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Relatively Scarcity & Overview of WW2 era U.K. M.M. to U.S. Army Personnel ?

Good Morning Gentleman,    I just pulled this Medal out of my storage area, & since I haven't looked at it for years now, I thought I would inquire here to see if any relatively recent information has become available on them ? I  did read years ago that only approximately 310 +/- 'Military Medal' Decorations were made during thevWW2' era, however that was via my 1981 edition of Tamplin & Abbot's "British Gallantry Awards", which is of course, now 40 or so years old. I'm interested in whatever, more recent information may have surfaced, if any ?

LINK: https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/18710265/person/700368700/media/69c24276-ddff-42e3-93cd-cba4d0082626?_phsrc=tez10830&usePUBJs=true

Suffice to say that it was an interesting & quite 'out of the blue' situation in which I obtained it, although I remain extremely happy that I did ! Just briefly, the American G.I. was decorated for carrying his severely wounded Sgt. throughout enemy held lines on the night of 24 - 25 December 1944, during the Ardennes Campaign. His unit was attached to the U.S. 3rd Armored Division's 'Task Force Hogan', which had been totally cut off & surrounded in the Belgian Town of Marcouray. After they destroyed all their vehicles, secured their wounded to await German capture, they departed in groups of a few men each, & managed to exfiltrate back to Allied held lines in the vicinity of Soy, Belgium. However, shortly after their departing at dusk, they came under enemy artillery fire & small arms fire, resulting in the recipient's Sgt. being struck by SFW in the mouth & facial area. Although being Ordered numerous times to be left behind by the injured Sgt., PFC Anibal AUGUST, No. 31247473, U.S. Army, proceeded to literally carry him to safety. ( RE: 2nd Platoon, Battery B, 486 AA - AW Battalion, 3rd Armored Division ) Henceforth, he was awarded the M.M. for his actions. If anyone's interested enough to hear the details surrounding my obtaining this somewhat uncommon award, please just ask & I'll provide an overview of my 'happening across it'. THANK YOU Guys very much !!

Best,      Dom P.