News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on Thin Red Line Crimea Medal Unit Engraving

I have been delving into British medals recently and have an opportunity to purchase a Crimea Medal, with three clasps, engraved to a soldier who served with the “93rd REG’T.” (exact engraving). It is being sold as the Thin Red Line, but from my (admittedly very early) research, many Crimea Medals to the 93rd are engraved as some variation of “SUTHERLAND/HIGHLANDERS”, not “93rd REG’T”, and I know unissued medals are often dressed up with dedications to the 93rd to increase value. Could anyone please clarify what I should be looking for? Thank you for any assistance.

I'll follow up in the hopes that someone can point me in the right direction now that I have it in hand. The medal I obtained features a stamped dedication to "J. WM. CLARKE 93RD, REGT.". From my research I am confident that the dedication is official and period (uneven lettering, approximately half the width of the medal, consistent patina). Tracing Clarke is another issue, however. Checking through British medal rolls on Ancestry, there are two John Clarkes, one James Clarke, and one WIlliam Clarke who served with the 93rd Highlanders and received the Crimea Medal, but no one named as a combination of "J. William".

forces-war-records.co.uk gives an even greater number of candidates based on the (presumptive) combination of John/James William.

As someone who is very new to British medals, could someone possibly provide some advice on verifying whether soldier Clarke was indeed with the 93rd Sutherland?

clarkecrimea.thumb.jpeg.070354e23558a7256defe5678a2ecfca.jpeg