News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP with Victorian Sgt. rank addition...1st Berkshire Volunteers c. 1880's

This lovely tunic turned up at a show where nobody recognized how early it was.  I am confused by the pip or star above the rank.  Everything else is pretty obvious.  I feel this is quite unusual, boards shown for identification of the unit in case this matters with the odd piece of insignia.  Collars are missing and I assume will be a 'dog' to find in silver color and of this era.  The net is quite barren as to information on this period's British insignia, strangely, unless it's metal badges!  Thanks folks!  

DSCN9918.JPG

DSCN9919.JPG

What a great find! I think I have the answer to your question, the star is a proficiency badge for snco‘s introduced in 1878.5394DE6B-EA03-4086-998F-E87496905CAB.thumb.jpeg.964bf3040a7b20adebc062b23e1aad4e.jpegI took a quick snapshot from an excellent book on the subject, “British Army proficiency badges” by Denis Edwards and David Langley, I hope it came out alright.

Best regards,

Robert

• 2 months later...