News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question On Value

gjw

Hey all, with regards to A-H awards, how much value is detracted from the medal if the ribbon is a modern replacement?

Thanks as always!

Greg 

It depends on the award. 

I'd dare to say just the average cost of buying an original one. 

Besides that, I wouldn't mind finding a Maria Theresa Order without ribbon... 

Now, it seems that the big problem with austrian awards is when the case is missing. It's not a joke, but a while ago, a collector asked me to see my Maria Theresia Orders and, looking at a napoleonic Knight's Cross, his words were only "nice piece, pity that's without case"... 

Edited by Elmar Lang

Thanks EL.  As you vey well know, I'm new to A-H awards and I'm trying to get as much info on this specific area of militaria collecting.  I know in some fields (i.e. British awards) the ribbon is not all that important, the actual medal is.  I see a lot of common awards with pretty fresh ribbons that to me cast doubts on being original.  But then again, I have a 5 wound, Wound Medal with an original mint ribbon that was more than likely added to the medal at some point. 

Very interesting on the with or without case.  Something I was unaware of.

As to me ever owning an original MTO, I have my doubts.  I have one more hobby that owning one would interfere with...........eating!

Again, thanks for your insights, much appreciated!

Greg