News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Staff Interpreter Mr A C Moore Egypt medal

I recently acquired an undated Egypt medal with Suakin 1885 clasp named to Mr.A. C. Moore, Staff Interpr.  (staff interpreter)

Moore and his medal are confirmed on the rolls, but I would like more on Moore himself. If anyone can help, I’d be most grateful!  Thanks in advance. 

20220707_083245.jpeg

20220707_083251.jpeg

20220707_083302-600x530.jpeg

20220707_083308-600x605.jpeg

20220707_083316-600x634.jpeg

20220707_083322-600x501.jpeg

Roll.jpeg

Roll-canx.jpeg

Edited by azyeoman
    additional information

Through my inquiries, Joshua at Liverpool Medals was able to send me this great photo and bio on Mr. A. C. Moore. Medals to translators seem to have exceptionally interesting stories.

MooreinColour.jpeg.5588394c7f009567dd372dc10b788d61.jpeg

Major A. Churchill Moore former Egyptian Civil Service, photographed circa 1918, wearing the ribbon of the Egypt Medal, the Khedives Star, and his Order of Medjidie. (Copyright the Imperial War Museum)  He is wearing A Royal Automobile Club cap badge, which is rather unusual.  It was a unit of volunteers who were drivers for the British Army during WW1.

Albert Churchill Moore, who went by "A. Churchill Moore", was Recipient of the Order of Medjidie 3rd Class Neck Badge for service as Inspector in the Administration of the Daira Sanieh. (Shortly after the massive 1898 Scanadal when the Daira Sanieh Corporation was sold off to pay for £7m in debts).

He was born on 21st February 1864 inside the British Consulate in Jerusalem, Israel, which was Palestine at that time.   He was born in what is now the "Mahane Yehuda Police Station", a historic building at 107 Jaffa Road in Jerusalem, which still stands.  Palestine at the time was under primarily Ottoman Control, the native tongue being Arabic; thus Mr. A. C. Moore learned Arabic.

His father was the long serving British Consul to Jerusalem, Noel Temple Moore, newly arrived for his post, which he would serve for 25 years.  He also happened to be the Nephew of the distinguished Lieutenant General Sir Henry Moore KCB CIE.  His father Noel was a Popular British Consul who had aided Jews in attempting to settle in Palestine, which was strongly opposed by the Sultan, as British Residents were only allowed to remain for Pilgrimage purposes.  He is most noted for personally accompanying the Prince of Wales (King Edward VII) on his Visit to the Holy Land through Syria and Palestine.

His father was also employed on special services in Egypt during 1882-3 when he wrote the "Dufferin Report", detailing how the occupation was to benefit Egypt, following the Egypt-Sudan War.  Lord Dufferin, commended him, writing, "I desire to express to you my very best thanks for the valuable assistance you have rendered me during the time you were attached to my mission at Cairo. Your knowledge of Arabic and thorough acquaintance with the East and the habits and thoughts of its inhabitants, enable you to place at my disposal an amount of information in regard to the wishes and aspirations of the people of this country, which otherwise it might have been difficult to obtain."

By the time of Suakin 1885, Mr Albert Churchill Moore, now about 21 years old, had found employment with the Egyptian Civil Service, and given his father's standing, likely with little resistance.  No doubt he was fluent in Arabic being raised his whole life in Jerusalem and the son of one of the finest British Arabic Speakers.  He had a career in the Civil Service, and in 1894 he was stationed in Cairo where he married.  He had retired in the 1911 census, was living in Hove, Sussex, and self described as 47 year old "Egyptian Civil Service, Retired"  He died in Hotel Beau Syoni in Pau, the Alpes-De-Haute-Provence, France during 1926. (Living a nice retirement, having received a considerable chunk of the Estate from his Uncle Sir Henry Moore in 1916)

• 3 weeks later...