News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

14th Rifle Division 1943

Hi all,

I am researching an Order of Glory to a Staff Sergeant of the 14th Rifle Division, 14th Army for 29 July 1943. I am aware that the unit was placed on the Karelian Front locked in trench warfare against German and Finnish units. I was wondering whether anyone knew of the particular movements or actions taken part in by the 14th Rifle Division in the summer of 1943?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Looks like they were on a stagnant front around Zapadnaya Litsa river in '43 if I'm reading it right.

...By October 1941, the front line had stabilized at the turn of the Western Litsa River. On October 22, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops went on the defensive by order. The enemy in the division's sector advanced only 30-60 kilometers, which was the record minimum advance of Germany and the satellites for the entire time of the Second World War. Until October 1944, the front line remained unchanged. The division fought private battles. At the end of April - beginning of May 1942, together with the troops of the army, they launched an offensive that turned out to be unsuccessful.

Since October 7, 1944, she has been taking part in the Petsamo-Kirkenes operation, advancing on the main direction of attack, taking part in the liberation of the cities of Pechenga, Tarnet, Kirkenes. After the operation, she was taken to the reserve.

On December 30, 1944, it was transformed into the 101st Guards Rifle Division.

There isn't much out there in English on units so I do this:

• Google translate the unit name into Russian
    • Copy/paste Russian name into Yandex
    • Copy/paste yandex page into Goolge translate

Here's a few links on the unit:

https://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/ruwiki/575437

https://www.rkkawwii.ru/division/14sdf1