News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Officer Service Dress cap Badges

This may be a dumb question so let's rip with the dumb answers.

My understanding is that officers' cap badges and chinstrap buttons on SD peaked caps (and field service?) were bronze or blackened metal, even when buttons, etc. with gilt or brass (i.e. dark vs. bright). Is this correct? Was it by regulation? If so, was it frequently ignored? I am particulalry interested in the immediate pre-war/early war years. If not by regulation, or if by regimental discretion, were there particular regiments that specified or otwrwise were known for bright badging and buttons?

• 1 month later...

I’m pretty sure the blackened Officer SD cap badges were adopted in 1902 and were due to regulations as it was widespread, it would coincide with the end of Queen Victoria’s reign.

Described as ‘bronze later painted brown’

I’ve also seen that the same change was applied to officers collar badges, again on their SD, but in the report I saw, it claimed that was implemented in 1904. 🤷‍♂️

The introduction of the Battledress in the late 30’s changed the relevance of the Service Dress but the practice of subdued badges seemingly continued up until 1952’s changes to anodised aluminium/staybrite & new Monarch…and beyond in some cases of tradition.

tony

(

I also think that bronze badges were introduced for the service dress cap in 1902. If you are interested in WW II officer uniforms, the 1934 dress regulations are the most relevant. They stipulate two bronze buttons for the cap, service dress, soft pattern (which was to be worn on active service and manoeuvres). Line infantry regiments wore bronze badges, the Foot Guards wore (and still wear) shiny ones (Grenadiers and Welsh in gold embroidery, Coldstream, Scots and Irish small but elaborate silver and enamel stars).

As Tony pointed out, the bronze badges disappeared at some point after the war, most likely in the 50’s and certainly by the time the “brigade” cap badges were introduced. 
    Pre- and early-war caps had, in the belief of collectors, narrower chinstraps than later ones (although I am not sure that is a general rule - the Scots Guards cap in the picture is post-war, made by royal appointment to HM the Queen and with brass Queen’s Crown buttons). I have put together a number of service dress caps from my collection for a quick photo to show differences. The one from the Buffs is particularly interesting as it is the only issued from ordnance stores and clearly dated 1945 - with a very wide chinstrap. 

Hope this helps

Robert

A0EB33DC-F3EB-46FE-BD70-14FB9546B75A.jpeg

A119D6D5-4826-4571-8B9C-DEB0F188D3D1.jpeg

Detail of the Buffs cap

144DD84A-690D-46BA-A6E6-DBEC3A70867A.jpeg

And here is a cavalry cap, made from a very different material and with plain, domed brass buttons:

916AD30F-2597-4AB6-BB12-12DCEB20EA9E.jpeg

The Gloucesters cap in the first picture is also from the 1950s, but still with a bronze badge, that is why I included it. The material of that badge is very different from earlier bronze or painted brown badges and a bit too shiny for the original purpose of camouflage.