News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crimea medal; heavy brigade charger

The fighting Irishman; Recent purchase from an online jewelry store in the USA.
    As many will be aware for collectors the Crimea medal is fraught with difficulties, issued unnamed the naming found was for the most part privately undertaken, some engraving has been attributed, but most have not, those medals most at risk from forgery have been light brigade chargers, the thin red line and those whose lives are well documented.
    Johns Crimea medal has been engraved by a yet known engraver and at some point, the clasps have been removed and put on in the wrong order. 
    Roy Dutton whose monumental work on those who took part in the Charge of the Heavy Brigade published in 2008, confirms that 1128 Private John McGuire, 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards took part in the Charge, no other details were available.
    Having purchased the medal for the cost of an unnamed no clasp medal I set about trying to find John McGuire.
    For two days I went through every John McGuire on “Findmypast” on the second day under the 4th Hussars I found him 
    Born in Roscrea, county Tipperary (he was noted as being a Clerk).
    Enlisted into the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards from 20th June 1852 (aged 18) to the 31st December 1856 (regimental number 1128).
    Served in the Crimea, Charge of the Heavy Brigade, Crimea medal clasps Balaclava, Inkerman, and Sebastopol. 
    Transferred to the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) 1st January 1857 (regimental number 76).
    Served in the Indian Mutiny Medal 1857-59, Clasp: Lucknow took part in the charge at Nusrutpore
    Private on transfer, 1857
    Corporal, 1862
    Sergeant 1863
    Re-engaged, 1863
    Troop Sergeant Major, 1866
    Court Martial Drunk, 1869
    Reduced to Private
    Transferred to the 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars, 1st July 1869 to 24th October 1871 (regimental number 1143). (then stationed in India)
    Private 1869
    Corporal 1870
    Sergeant 1870
    Court martial, Drunk, reduced to private
    He applied to the General officer commanding India 21st May 1872 to be discharged aged 37 and 6 months on pension with place of residence noted as Melbourne Australia.
    Is this Johns medal, to be 100% is almost impossible, but for me its his and while much of his life is still a mystery, taking part in two or more cavalry charges makes him a hero,  who is not forgotten.
    Now to find his Indian Mutiny medal

IMG_0703.jpeg