News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Taisho Enthronement Commemorative Medal

TracA

Here we have a Taisho Enthronement Commemorative Medal. I believe that this medal is somewhat or fairly common. The simple description, per Peterson 3rd edition p. 56 and Rich Catalano’s The Imperial Ordinances for War and Commemorative Medals of Japan and Manchukuo (4th edition) p. 54, is as follows:

The medal is 30mm in diameter, of silver color. The ribbon is 37mm of watered silk, a white background with a 12mm red stripe down the center and a 2mm red stripe 3mm from each edge. Peterson p. 56 states that “[i]t was designed from the drapes of the outdoor pavilion used in the Ceremonies.” The obverse design has a gilt Imperial chrysanthemum crest, attached as a separate piece, crossed branches of cherry and tachibana blossoms, two long Imperial banners, five fish above a water jug/vase at the top of each banner, and in the background two crossed staffs (?) [neither Peterson nor Catalano note the fish, water jug/vase, or staffs]. Reverse design: inscription only. Obverse inscription: under the water jug/vase on each banner are the kanji 萬歳 for “Banzai”. Reverse inscription: 12 kanji in four rows of two, three, four, and three (from right to left): 禮大  章念記  年四正大  月一十 for “Enthronement Commemorative Medal Taisho 4 [1915] November”. The simple box is made of wood with a gilt inscription on the lid: 大禮記念章 for “Enthronement Commemorative Medal”. The medalbed is recessed and of blue color.

I have no idea if Catalano translated the entire Imperial Ordinance establishing this medal. If he did, then there is no mention of the fish, water jug/vase, or staffs.

Some questions:

• Could it be that the five fish are meant to represent koi?
    • What could be the meaning of the water jug/vase, if there is any?
    • Meaning of the staffs, if any?
    • If the fish water jug/vase, and staffs were not specified in the Imperial Ordinance, then I wonder how and why the designer of the medal came to include them.

I find it to be an aesthetically pleasing medal. A bonus for me: my medal box came with a handwritten inscription on the bottom.

All the best,

Tracy

Obverse:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Obv.jpg

Close-up of the fish and water jug/vase:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Obv Vase and Fish.jpg

Reverse:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Rev.jpg

Box lid:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Box Lid.jpg

Inscription on the bottom of the box: right column is 大正五年三月六日 for “Taisho 5 [1916], March 6”. Left column is 陸軍少尉豊田徳市 for “Army Second Lieutenant Toyoda Tokuichi”

Taisho Enthronement Medal Box Bottom.jpg

Edited by TracA

• 2 weeks later...

Dear TracA,

Here is a small medal related to the this topic.

On the reverse the Three Sacred Treasures and on the obverse a poem written by Hiromichi Takatsukasa " Hōso Mukyō".

(I leave it to members to interpret)

image.thumb.jpeg.ddf13782c6feba2af5b29718ee0fdc7d.jpeg

Takatsukasa Hiromichi - Wikipedia

The Japanese page is more explicit 鷹司煕通 - Wikipedia

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

No One,

Thank you for the post! What a great medal, especially since it wholly reproduces the banners from the obverse of the Taisho Enthronement Commemorative Medal. Also, very interesting poem.

All the best,

Tracy 

On 10/08/2023 at 02:07, TracA said:

Here we have a Taisho Enthronement Commemorative Medal. I believe that this medal is somewhat or fairly common. The simple description, per Peterson 3rd edition p. 56 and Rich Catalano’s The Imperial Ordinances for War and Commemorative Medals of Japan and Manchukuo (4th edition) p. 54, is as follows:

The medal is 30mm in diameter, of silver color. The ribbon is 37mm of watered silk, a white background with a 12mm red stripe down the center and a 2mm red stripe 3mm from each edge. Peterson p. 56 states that “[i]t was designed from the drapes of the outdoor pavilion used in the Ceremonies.” The obverse design has a gilt Imperial chrysanthemum crest, attached as a separate piece, crossed branches of cherry and tachibana blossoms, two long Imperial banners, five fish above a water jug/vase at the top of each banner, and in the background two crossed staffs (?) [neither Peterson nor Catalano note the fish, water jug/vase, or staffs]. Reverse design: inscription only. Obverse inscription: under the water jug/vase on each banner are the kanji 萬歳 for “Banzai”. Reverse inscription: 12 kanji in four rows of two, three, four, and three (from right to left): 禮大  章念記  年四正大  月一十 for “Enthronement Commemorative Medal Taisho 4 [1915] November”. The simple box is made of wood with a gilt inscription on the lid: 大禮記念章 for “Enthronement Commemorative Medal”. The medalbed is recessed and of blue color.

I have no idea if Catalano translated the entire Imperial Ordinance establishing this medal. If he did, then there is no mention of the fish, water jug/vase, or staffs.

Some questions:

• Could it be that the five fish are meant to represent koi?
    • What could be the meaning of the water jug/vase, if there is any?
    • Meaning of the staffs, if any?
    • If the fish water jug/vase, and staffs were not specified in the Imperial Ordinance, then I wonder how and why the designer of the medal came to include them.

I find it to be an aesthetically pleasing medal. A bonus for me: my medal box came with a handwritten inscription on the bottom.

All the best,

Tracy

Obverse:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Obv.jpg

Close-up of the fish and water jug/vase:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Obv Vase and Fish.jpg

Reverse:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Rev.jpg

Box lid:

Taisho Enthronement Medal Box Lid.jpg

Inscription on the bottom of the box: right column is 大正五年三月六日 for “Taisho 5 [1916], March 6”. Left column is 陸軍少尉豊田徳市 for “Army Second Lieutenant Toyoda Tokuichi”

Taisho Enthronement Medal Box Bottom.jpg

Hello both,

a great description of a lively medal, 👍

it made me find mine, the swivel bar is a bit bent and the ribbon is a bit torn…. but that’s the way I like them 😊

If I may, here’s a couple of pictures

4DD7AB28-D3F1-4682-A411-48FED007230A.thumb.jpeg.e0109ad3325291c34e49ceecacc8968c.jpeg

7D2640F5-1C62-408C-9B68-B53F982CCDD7.thumb.jpeg.f3496924883efb99c568d760a2037223.jpeg

I’d never thought about it’s originality 🤷‍♂️  (to me) it has great detail, then I saw the fish on yours! Yours have crystal clear tails and my fish have no tails at all! 

69D26D96-9BD9-4079-83FE-46829DD1E983.thumb.jpeg.8e7c6204df02769a68ff8e61e0ac8835.jpeg

Pictures may not show it but they are very blobby, I hope you’ll tell me it’s just wear but either way, compared to the the first ones detail? it was lovely seeing it like that.

best wishes

tony 🍻

ps

8BC618EA-0099-4A3E-92CF-464F381E207F.thumb.jpeg.6a00724491792095c19c9a19ea78d76a.jpeg

851DC15E-02D7-4EF2-940A-16E616F8E9F7.thumb.jpeg.682d0a6211ad84d7ab5cb8e7bc63a3d5.jpeg

I don’t know their history together before me, but they came from Japan together and live together now so seemed rude to leave his friend out.

Dear TracA,

- The fishes are " ayu / 鮎 / アユ / sweetfish": Ayu sweetfish - Wikipedia

- The jug is " itsuhe / 厳瓮 / いつへ": a sacred bottle for libation.

The story linking both:

The fish ayu is written as "ayu" in Chinese characters, which means "catfish" in Chinese. "Ayu" is a Chinese character created in Japan and literally means "fortune-telling fish". In the Nihon Shoki, fish that are thought to be ayu often appear.

In Nihon Shoki, there is a famous scene of ayu fishing.

"Emperor Jinmu performed fortune-telling on the Nyu River in present-day Nara Prefecture. When he made a jar called "Itsuhe" out of the soil of Mt. Tenkogu and declared, "If I submerge this jar in the river and large and small fish float on the surface of the river, I can rule this country" then the ayu emerged. There was alcohol in it, which means that the fish got drunk."

Thus, in Japan mythology, ayu and sake jars have a very great meaning. In fact, in the past, when the emperor ascended to the throne, this pattern was drawn on the banner (旛 = ban) that was displayed.

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

Dear TracyA,

As for the staffs, as there are five banners (旛 / ban) there are five staff, one staff specific for each banner:

image.thumb.jpeg.0c49796ade8a33ee5becfd8850ec0878.jpeg

・霊鵄形大錦旛 / Reishi Keidai Kinban = A golden kite that saved Emperor Jimmu with a flash of light.

・月像纛旛 / Gesshō Tōban = moon embroidered on white brocade

・萬歳旛 / Banzai ban = 5 sweetfish, Itsuhe, and the word “banzai”

・日像纛旛 / Nisshō Tōban = The sun embroidered on red brocade.

・頭八咫烏形大錦旛 / Yatagarasu Daikinban = The Yatagarasu that guided Emperor Jinmu to Kashihara in Yamato.

Yours sincerly,

No one

15 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hello both,

a great description of a lively medal, 👍

it made me find mine, the swivel bar is a bit bent and the ribbon is a bit torn…. but that’s the way I like them 😊

If I may, here’s a couple of pictures

4DD7AB28-D3F1-4682-A411-48FED007230A.thumb.jpeg.e0109ad3325291c34e49ceecacc8968c.jpeg

7D2640F5-1C62-408C-9B68-B53F982CCDD7.thumb.jpeg.f3496924883efb99c568d760a2037223.jpeg

I’d never thought about it’s originality 🤷‍♂️  (to me) it has great detail, then I saw the fish on yours! Yours have crystal clear tails and my fish have no tails at all! 

69D26D96-9BD9-4079-83FE-46829DD1E983.thumb.jpeg.8e7c6204df02769a68ff8e61e0ac8835.jpeg

Pictures may not show it but they are very blobby, I hope you’ll tell me it’s just wear but either way, compared to the the first ones detail? it was lovely seeing it like that.

best wishes

tony 🍻

ps

8BC618EA-0099-4A3E-92CF-464F381E207F.thumb.jpeg.6a00724491792095c19c9a19ea78d76a.jpeg

851DC15E-02D7-4EF2-940A-16E616F8E9F7.thumb.jpeg.682d0a6211ad84d7ab5cb8e7bc63a3d5.jpeg

I don’t know their history together before me, but they came from Japan together and live together now so seemed rude to leave his friend out.

Hi Farkas,

Yours is a wonderful example. I also collect ancient Greek coins of the Thessalian city of Larissa and the condition of your medal reminds me of a numismatic phrase which I believe is applicable here: “honest wear”.              

Sadly I have no experience with detecting fakes but since this medal is, I believe, quite common, I would assume that there wouldn’t be much profit in producing fakes. I chalk up the “blobbiness” of the fish on your medal to worn dies.

Always nice to keep together medals and such that you acquire together.

All the best,

Tracy

14 hours ago, No one said:

Dear TracyA,

As for the staffs, as there are five banners (旛 / ban) there are five staff, one staff specific for each banner:

image.thumb.jpeg.0c49796ade8a33ee5becfd8850ec0878.jpeg

・霊鵄形大錦旛 / Reishi Keidai Kinban = A golden kite that saved Emperor Jimmu with a flash of light.

・月像纛旛 / Gesshō Tōban = moon embroidered on white brocade

・萬歳旛 / Banzai ban = 5 sweetfish, Itsuhe, and the word “banzai”

・日像纛旛 / Nisshō Tōban = The sun embroidered on red brocade.

・頭八咫烏形大錦旛 / Yatagarasu Daikinban = The Yatagarasu that guided Emperor Jinmu to Kashihara in Yamato.

Yours sincerly,

No one

Dear No One,

Thank you so much for the information on the fish, jug, staffs, and banners. Your generosity with your knowledge has added greatly to my documentation and knowledge.

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

Thank you, it a pleasure to share knowledge.

Here is another medal on this subject, and it's both attractive and well-crafted.
    The purpose of the event was to commemorate the ceremonies that were held at Ueno Park, where the people could acclaim the new emperor Taishō.

On this medal one can see two other banners shown above.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d9914701d4c01a98f4fed614a5525a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5047dcfaffe8e04fd29fae74f9067c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5075f9be2657d63112c650cc808d35.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c885ddd47a0052fe531d2066e3b3c51f.jpeg

Here is a postcard of the entrance: 

都市・東京の記憶_御大禮記念國産振興東京博覽會繪葉書_上野公園入口誘導塔 (tokyo.lg.jp)

Yours sincerely,

No one

On 20/08/2023 at 19:36, No one said:

Dear TracA,

Thank you, it a pleasure to share knowledge.

Here is another medal on this subject, and it's both attractive and well-crafted.
    The purpose of the event was to commemorate the ceremonies that were held at Ueno Park, where the people could acclaim the new emperor Taishō.

On this medal one can see two other banners shown above.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d9914701d4c01a98f4fed614a5525a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5047dcfaffe8e04fd29fae74f9067c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5075f9be2657d63112c650cc808d35.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c885ddd47a0052fe531d2066e3b3c51f.jpeg

Here is a postcard of the entrance: 

都市・東京の記憶_御大禮記念國産振興東京博覽會繪葉書_上野公園入口誘導塔 (tokyo.lg.jp)

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

Another beautiful medal, and a different two banners on a medal again struck in honor of the Taisho enthronement. 

I assume that the five banners and staffs referenced in your post above were not specific to the Emperor Taisho, but I do assume that the were specific to, and used only for, the Emperor. Is my assumption correct? Where might I go to learn more about the history and use of the five banners/staffs?

Thank you as always.

Tracy

Dear TracA,

First, all informations and drawings are from "The National Archives Collection / 国立公文書館蔵 / Kokuritsu kōbunsho kanzō".

"I assume that the five banners and staffs referenced in your post above were not specific to the Emperor Taisho, but I do assume that the were specific to, and used only for, the Emperor. Is my assumption correct?" 

Actually, those banners posted above were specific to Taishō. The banners used for Shōwa were identical, but with minor design modifications.

"Where might I go to learn more about the history and use of the five banners/staffs?"

As mention above here "The National Archives Collection / 国立公文書館蔵 / Kokuritsu kōbunsho kanzō". 

Let's try a shorten history (I join the links).

It's the 42nd Emperor, Emperor Monmu (文武天皇 もんむてんのう 697–707) who seems to have introduced them. These were heavily influenced by the symbols used by the Chinese emperors and Bouddhism. They were used without any change in shape until the reign of Emperor Komei.

礼儀類典図会 2巻 - NDL Digital Collections

image.thumb.jpeg.cde83a1187700fc6f41445788a30b2f6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.262da47e65e915b1d7e65d3e6b7c4f57.jpeg

At the time of Emperor Meiji's accession to the throne, an attempt was made to abolish Chinese-origin decorations in response to the Restoration of Imperial Rule, and to restore traditional Japanese designs.

4高御座幣旗等図 (archives.go.jp)

image.jpeg.f918e26fb18943bb2061dba1b733cb2b.jpeg

Here, Boshin Gosokui zakki fuzu (archives.go.jp) , you can see the Meiji celebration image 3 (one click) and image 7 one of his predecessor.

At the Heisei Enthronement Ceremony (1990), with the separation of state and religion, the designs derived from Shinto were removed. The sweetfish and jar that had been in Banzai ban disappeared and the two birds of Shinto origin were replaced with gold chrysanthemum crests. The banners used for Reiwa were identical.

Wikipedia:

image.jpeg.07b202a2a5c3b156e610d85124ddc05f.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one