News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CHILE MEDALS & AWARDS FROM CHILE TO ADMIRAL LORD COCHRANE 1820-1821

Hello Gentlemen,

It's with great pleasure that I can show you the Chilean Medals & Order awarded to Admiral Lord Cochrane ( 1775-1860 ), that are shown in Scotland National Museum in Edinburgh.

First is the Order for Conquest of Valdivia 3 February 1820. A naval action Admiral Cochrane did in connection with Jorge Beauchef ( from France ). The fight to take Valdivia lasted 3 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Valdivia

Having visiting the Navy Museum in Valparaiso in February 2016, I have not seen it, neither in Army Museum or History Museum in Santiago ( 2 of the 6 museum of Santiago where medals are on display ).

More will follow.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Chile Medal Order Conquest Valdivia 3 February 1820 Admiral Cochrane 1820 obverse.JPG

Chile Medal Order Conquest Valdivia 3 February 1820 Admiral Cochrane obverse close up.JPG

Chile Medal Order Conquest Valdivia 3 February 1820 Admiral Cochrane reverse.JPG

Edited by heusy68

This Medal : El Pacifico Libre 1821 is listed nowhere. 

It is a pure beauty, gold & 2 sided enamel 20 rays star, with likely the name of the ship of Admiral Cochrane on reverse.

Likely a unique award that gladly survived and that we can admires still nowdays.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Chile Medal Estrella Pacifico Libre 1821 Admiral Cochrane obverse.JPG

Chile Medal Estrella Pacifico Libre 1821 Admiral Cochrane reverse.JPG

The last of the Chilean Award of Admiral Cochrane is said to be a Chilean Legion do Merito.

I know what many will object. It does not look like a Legion do Merito ( 3rd photo from Museum of National History in Santiago, 4th photo from a Military Show in France, long time ago ), but very high ranking leaders were wearing "bespoke" awards. O'Higgins, San Martin were wearing "unique" Legion do Merito, so why not Admiral Cochrane.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Chile Medal Estralla Blanca Admiral Cochrane obverse.jpg

Chile Medal Estrella Blanca Admiral Cochrane reverse.JPG

Chile Legion do Merito Caballero y Official.jpg

Chile Legion do Merito Official 100.jpg

This is how the foreign awards of Admiral Cochrane are displayed in Scotland National Museum in Edinburgh.

The last photo is from the web site of the museum. But the resolution is not that great, so I took opportunity while visiting Edinburgh, to visit also Scotland National Museum to see them. 

For those who would like to visit, the 3 Military Museum of the Edinburgh Castle are not to be missed, neither are the Holyrood Castle.

I'am perfectly aware that the Awards of Lord Cochrane should deserve a post of their own ( UK - Chile - Brazil - Greece ), but I'am not a machine, so give me a little more time ( any ways I took photo of all his awards ).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

UK Admiral Cochrane Medal National Scotland Museum.JPG

UK Chile Brazil Greece Order Medal Admiral Cochrane.JPG

UK List of Medal Admiral Cochrane 2.JPG

Chile Order Lord Cochrane.jpeg

Edited by heusy68