News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rank Insignia for General Officers, Household Division/ Footguards/ Coldstream Guards

I have a question regarding the scarlet cloth tunic for the foot regiments, in particular the Coldstream Guards. It was my understanding that general officers associated with the Coldstream Guards (or another foot regiment with the Household division), e.g. the Colonel of the Regiment (a ceremonial position), which is currently Lieutenant General Sir James Bucknall, do only wear full colonels insignia on the scarlet cloth tunic. I have seen images of Lieutenant General Sir James Bucknall wearing the scarlet cloth tunic (Home Service Dress Tunic) of a (full) colonel. The same applies to the Colonel-In-Chief, HM King Charles III. Nonetheless, I came across a scarlet cloth tunic for the Coldstream Guards that spots a sword and baton (i.e. insignia for a general officer) and saw rank insignia for a general including the Star of the Order of the Garter on a frock coat for generals. Can someone explain? Thanks so much! 

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

6 hours ago, diwe said:

I have a question regarding the scarlet cloth tunic for the foot regiments, in particular the Coldstream Guards. It was my understanding that general officers associated with the Coldstream Guards (or another foot regiment with the Household division), e.g. the Colonel of the Regiment (a ceremonial position), which is currently Lieutenant General Sir James Bucknall, do only wear full colonels insignia on the scarlet cloth tunic. I have seen images of Lieutenant General Sir James Bucknall wearing the scarlet cloth tunic (Home Service Dress Tunic) of a (full) colonel. The same applies to the Colonel-In-Chief, HM King Charles III. Nonetheless, I came across a scarlet cloth tunic for the Coldstream Guards that spots a sword and baton (i.e. insignia for a general officer) and saw rank insignia for a general including the Star of the Order of the Garter on a frock coat for generals. Can someone explain? Thanks so much! 

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

Hi diwe,

as I understand it…

In 1902 the officers rank insignia changed, including adding the extra star for…

captains 2 upto 3 stars

Lieutenant 1 upto 2 stars

2nd Lieutenant 1 star

- From 1902 until 1922 Brigadier Generals wore the crossed sword and baton on its own.

- From 1922 until 1928 the rank was ‘replaced’ /retitled with Colonel-Commandant. 

- From 1928 the rank was again replaced, this time with Brigadier and the insignia as still used today

So with a bit of luck, if the rest of the tunic tallies with that period, I would say it’s a Brigadier Generals or Colonel-Commandant tunic dating between 1902 -1928. 

cheers

tony 🍻