News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Dress Tunic of Coldstream Guards with some oddities.....

Dear forum members! I would like toi ask for some assistance. I came across this Coldstream Guard's tunic with some strange modification. First, the distance of the buttons (or button holes) is incorrect, they should be in pairs. Secondly, the should boards spot the insignia of a Brigadier (general) or at least a cross and baton. It is my understanding that the ceremonial uniforms of the Guard Regiments stopped at the (full) colonel rank even for the Colonel of the Regiment and Colonel-In-Chief, who hold the rank of general officers. So is this some fantasy composite or is there another plausible explanation? Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 09.43.52.png

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 09.44.06.png

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 09.44.24.png

Just to clarify, the other topic you posted only showed the shoulder boards which despite seemingly being incomplete were in fact used briefly (details in my reply there) and on their own look fine to me.

The pictures on this topic show the complete tunic and, as you say yourself, the button arrangement does not match a Coldstream pattern.

The collar, cuffs, shoulder boards and tail may well be a ‘related set’ but they are not original to this tunic.

The tail button detail is cut at the top.

To me, the collar is badly attached.

The shoulder boards are way too short.

The cuff tunic material clearly has scars where the previous detail has been removed.

The lining is red with a white tail facing whereas it should be white with a red tail facing.

& as you said the buttons of a Coldstream Guards tunic would certainly be in pairs, regardless of its age, the rank or other.

755DDEF5-0BCF-4BC4-B8CE-DFD7CBB776AD.thumb.png.8f1eb5912b44d808cd9bd2108442ba43.png

5991328D-FE52-4992-AB9E-8EBEFC44FF20.thumb.png.1797a33c832bf8ae8ce532627ea86ba9.png

439811CE-E737-49CA-ABED-C17B3D41E8D5.thumb.png.5e82d24d0fa88140c58b8afb425f7ff4.png

The guy selling it is a good guy in my experience but in this case I think the £200 price tag is indicative of the issues he knows it has.

Possibly it was simply an innocent way that someone showcased their set of details and it might be worth 200 for them alone if you like it.

tony.

12 hours ago, Farkas said:

Just to clarify, the other topic you posted only showed the shoulder boards which despite seemingly being incomplete were in fact used briefly (details in my reply there) and on their own look fine to me.

The pictures on this topic show the complete tunic and, as you say yourself, the button arrangement does not match a Coldstream pattern.

The collar, cuffs, shoulder boards and tail may well be a ‘related set’ but they are not original to this tunic.

The tail button detail is cut at the top.

To me, the collar is badly attached.

The shoulder boards are way too short.

The cuff tunic material clearly has scars where the previous detail has been removed.

The lining is red with a white tail facing whereas it should be white with a red tail facing.

& as you said the buttons of a Coldstream Guards tunic would certainly be in pairs, regardless of its age, the rank or other.

755DDEF5-0BCF-4BC4-B8CE-DFD7CBB776AD.thumb.png.8f1eb5912b44d808cd9bd2108442ba43.png

5991328D-FE52-4992-AB9E-8EBEFC44FF20.thumb.png.1797a33c832bf8ae8ce532627ea86ba9.png

439811CE-E737-49CA-ABED-C17B3D41E8D5.thumb.png.5e82d24d0fa88140c58b8afb425f7ff4.png

The guy selling it is a good guy in my experience but in this case I think the £200 price tag is indicative of the issues he knows it has.

Possibly it was simply an innocent way that someone showcased their set of details and it might be worth 200 for them alone if you like it.

tony.

Hi Tony: Thanks so much about your informative comments. I also know the seller and bought from him before. He is a great guy and he was also curious about what we would find out about this strange tunic. So thank you again for you detailed response. It is really highly appreciated! 

5 hours ago, diwe said:

Hi Tony: Thanks so much about your informative comments. I also know the seller and bought from him before. He is a great guy and he was also curious about what we would find out about this strange tunic. So thank you again for you detailed response. It is really highly appreciated! 

Yes, I like him too, Ive bought some lovely  guards stuff from him too. 👍

cheers

tony