News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dad went to Canada in 1941 from the US and joined the RCAF. He was already an aviator. At first, he was a flight instructor but as the need for pilots diminished, he went to fly Lockheed Hudson looking for Uboats.

I don’t know how long he served in each position. As a youth, I found a 1939-1945 star as well as the Canadian volunteer medal. I contacted the Canadian government in the mid-1980s to get his service record but the government refused to assist me. I may try again as Dad passed away 16 years ago.

My question is: what other medals would he have earned? I have a good idea but would he have qualified for the Atlantic Star? It seemsRCAF crews looking for Uboats would. 

Thank you for your assistance. 
    Rittersmith1916

Rittersmith916,

WWII records can be obtained, under certain circumstance, from the Library and Archives Canada.  Best results are gained through the use of an experienced researcher.  Proof of death must accompany any submissions for your dad's records.  The more information you can provide on your father the researcher the better.

Regards,

Gordon

Rittersmith1916,

I would suggest that you contact cef.research@rogers.com .  I know this individual personally and he can supply you with good results in the search for information on your father.  It will take a couple of month for the LAC to respond to a request for information on your father so the sooner you start your research the sooner you will receive some answers.  The researcher and I are both members of the Ottawa Branch or the Orders and Medals Research Society (OMRS).

Good luck in your quest.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank you so much Gordon! Dad never talked much of his service other than some random comments. He took part in attacking a Uboat off Misco Island at the start of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Also saw many smoke plumes from sunken ships and occasional life boat. He hated the Uboats, needless to say.