News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Uboat Badges

Has anyone heard of AH submarine badges classed by Type 1, 2 and 3.

I have been collecting many for the last 50 years. I am no expert but I try to learn something every day. Please educate me.

thanks

On 31/03/2024 at 20:46, WJT said:

Has anyone heard of AH submarine badges classed by Type 1, 2 and 3.

I have been collecting many for the last 50 years. I am no expert but I try to learn something every day. Please educate me.

thanks

Hi WJT,

I often found you when I was looking for the answer to this 🍻 I’m tempted to say if you haven’t found examples then they probably don’t exist, however I’ll add my thoughts if I may 😊

There is I believe a consensus that officers/commanders(?) did not receive these.

So I wonder if there would have been a disinterest, a reluctance or even opposition to their subordinates being recognised with a trio of awards including prestigious silver and gold classes.

I have no knowledge of the number of submariners that would even have made, for example the 10,  25 or 50 trips required should classes have been introduced.  
    Was it a short life expectancy career? And/Or did subs have a low level of involvement in action?

I’m certain you know more than I about that than most 😊

More questions than answers I know.

I did find one photo online that I thought was interesting…

BF8108A9-E299-419A-A2FF-DB7FD948262C.thumb.png.61bd08da9fb0ec2b188dcefdc3336e95.png

He has a pre war mobilisation cross and then during the war he earned bronze, small silver and large silver bravery medals.., and yet still only has one uboat badge.

Is it safe to assume that he served long enough to receive a second class should one have existed 🤷‍♂️

cheers

tony 🍻

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have not made a reply. Got your message so you reminded me to look back at my posts. You raise a lot of questions and I hope I have some answers.

I’ll sit down in the next few days and do what I can,

sorry again,

Bill