News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help identifying era of Manchester Regt cap badge

Hi all

I have come across this cap badge in my box of cap badges and was wondering if anybody can help me in identifying which era it is from or give any further info? I have a Manchester Regt cap badge from WW1 to accompany a group of Medals to a Manchester Soldier, and I have one of the later WW2 fleur de lis style ones as well, so I was wondering whether this was potentially earlier and Victorian?

I might look to move this on anyway as my only Victorian medals I currently have are to a Fusilier and a Royal Engineer so would probably be more welcome in somebody else's collection! But until I know what I actually have I can't say for sure. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

Manc1.thumb.jpg.8faa57257102979f62ca016ce7f48b31.jpg

Manc2.thumb.jpg.a29239a5da0632701d8070ac78896277.jpg

Manc3.thumb.jpg.406bfdec143b520dd860720af5f00f74.jpg

8 hours ago, TomP73 said:

Hi all

I have come across this cap badge in my box of cap badges and was wondering if anybody can help me in identifying which era it is from or give any further info? I have a Manchester Regt cap badge from WW1 to accompany a group of Medals to a Manchester Soldier, and I have one of the later WW2 fleur de lis style ones as well, so I was wondering whether this was potentially earlier and Victorian?

I might look to move this on anyway as my only Victorian medals I currently have are to a Fusilier and a Royal Engineer so would probably be more welcome in somebody else's collection! But until I know what I actually have I can't say for sure. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

Manc1.thumb.jpg.8faa57257102979f62ca016ce7f48b31.jpg

Manc2.thumb.jpg.a29239a5da0632701d8070ac78896277.jpg

Manc3.thumb.jpg.406bfdec143b520dd860720af5f00f74.jpg

Worn by Warrant Officers 1881-84, some sources say 1881-95, on the round forage cap.      Pete.

16 hours ago, SillyOldGrandad said:

Worn by Warrant Officers 1881-84, some sources say 1881-95, on the round forage cap.      Pete.

Hi Pete @SillyOldGrandad. Thanks for your reply. 

That is more specific and niche than I expected! Explains why I couldn't find much online with a quick search, thanks for assisting with your excellent knowledge. 

I am attending the Stockport Militaria fair this weekend so might see if anybody fancies it there since it doesn't fall in the scope of what I currently collect. Do you know whether this holds much value? Regular WW1 Manc Regt cap badges fetch between £5-£10 but I imagine this would be a more valuable example due to age and presumed rarity? If this isn't allowed then no worries and feel free to ignore! :)

Cheers

Tom

1 hour ago, TomP73 said:

Hi Pete @SillyOldGrandad. Thanks for your reply. 

That is more specific and niche than I expected! Explains why I couldn't find much online with a quick search, thanks for assisting with your excellent knowledge. 

I am attending the Stockport Militaria fair this weekend so might see if anybody fancies it there since it doesn't fall in the scope of what I currently collect. Do you know whether this holds much value? Regular WW1 Manc Regt cap badges fetch between £5-£10 but I imagine this would be a more valuable example due to age and presumed rarity? If this isn't allowed then no worries and feel free to ignore! :)

Cheers

Tom

Tom, my advice to you is to join the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum, membership is free and there are some real badge experts on there. Your badge looks alright to my eyes but there are some clever fakers (con merchants, grasping scumbags) who know all the tricks of the trade. If your badge is the real deal then it's certainly not a common badge so get some advice from the experts before you part with it.     Pete.