News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese nurses served in World War I in France

No one

Dear Gordon Craig,

You wrote in another message that "Collecting articles to nurses is one of my main focuses.  Not just military nurses but nurses in general who served in hospitals for the war wounded."

I don't know if you know, but Japanese nurses served in World War I in France.

Here are some articles:

Médecins de la Grande Guerre - Les infirmières japonaises au chevet des soldats hospitalisés à Paris et à Netley. (1914-1918.be)

L’hôpital japonais de Paris (1915-1916) - Hôpitauxmilitairesguerre1418 - Santé Guerre (overblog.com)

Mission de la Croix-Rouge Japonaise, Hôpital, no 4 bis: infirmieres avec pansements de visite - Digital Collections - National Library of Medicine (nih.gov)

Hôpital de la croix rouge japonaise Banque d'images noir et blanc - Alamy (alamyimages.fr)

Mission de la Croix Rouge Japonaise, Hopital Bénévole 4 bis, Inauguration de l'hopital avril 1915:

image.jpeg.bdc8da03a9afb0ca073d58257362f7ab.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

No one,

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, and other sources, on nurses from Japan serving in WWI.  I will read it with interest.  I have a small collection of Japanese medals, several from the Japanese Red Cross, and I find this thread very interesting.

Regards,

Gordon

Dear Gordon Craig,

You are welcome. It's a very interesting story.

A few years back there was a documentary on this topic on NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation).

Yours sincerely,

No one

Interesting listing of Japanese nurses who had been awarded the Florence Nightingale medal.  Thanks for posting them.  I have bid on a Florence Nightingale medal a few times but never successfully.

Regards,

Gordon 

Dear Gentlemen,

Miss Ume Yuasa also got a medal in 1915 from the "Société Franco-Japonaise de Paris".

image.jpeg.be2f5aa4a1efca1bbc388ce7c6be5991.jpeg

- The Franco-Japanese Society was founded on September 16, 1900 in Paris; its head office was located at the Hôtel des Sociétés Savantes, 28, rue Serpente in Paris.
    Émile Bertin was the 1st President and co-founder with Émile Guimet, the Vice-President, of the Franco-Japanese Society of Paris in 1900, which he chaired for more than twenty years, until his death.

The Honorary President was Mr. Boissonnade de Fontarabie, former Legal Advisor to the Japanese Government.

Statutes: Purpose (excerpt) - "Article 1: The Franco-Japanese Society of Paris is a center where all the questions that Japanese people are concerned with in any capacity: artists, industrialists, traders, amateurs and scholars are addressed. It promotes the development of social relations between the French and the Japanese, by offering French residents and travelers in Japan, and Japanese in France, the assistance they need for their studies and business."

Louis-Émile Bertin - Wikipedia

Émile Étienne Guimet - Wikipedia

Guimet Museum - Wikipedia

Gustave Boissonade - Wikipedia

Yours sincerely,

No one

Dear Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest in this article.

I found two articles at GALLICA (Bibliothèque Nationale de France / 'National Library of France'; BnF):

The first:

image.png.19f7da7691c3d4203b58896cf274018a.png

-pages 128~130 "Inauguration de l'Ambulance Japonaise":

Bulletin de la Société franco-japonaise de Paris | 1914-07-01 | Gallica (bnf.fr)

The second:

image.png.04caf763db6921271073bebddf0589de.png

-pages 77~81 "Depart de Paris de l'Ambulance de la Croix Rouge Japonaise"

Bulletin de la Société franco-japonaise de Paris | 1916-01-01 | Gallica (bnf.fr)

Two extracts from the text:

image.png.01137dc3e50e1438beb27ef00c8b86af.png

(1 "Legion of Honnor officer", 3 "Legion of Honnor knight" and 20 "Epidemic Medal (for the Ministry of War)"

image.png.c1a2706cef7781aa9857cc6d2765d32c.png

Yours sincerely,

No one