News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badge foreign legion

Leuchtturm

Hello everyone,

I've received this foreign legion badge.

Can someone say how old it is?

What I found that is just was worn a short time 1946 to 1947.

Is it right?

Is it made by Drago Paris?

Cheers 

Chris

IMG-20240425-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20240425-WA0017.jpg

Dear Leuchtturm,

Your badge seems to be a Drago restrike from 1984.

For this badge see:

One answer here :INSIGNES LEGION - 3REI (3) (google.com)

Google translation:

"The staff of the 3rd R.E.I., with the 1st and 2nd battalions, landed in Saigon on April 25, 1946, followed by the 3rd battalion in June. Based in Cochinchina, the regiment is spread between Thu Duc (1st battalion), Bentré (2nd battalion) and Sedac (3rd battalion). Its network stretches from Cambodia to the China Sea, overflowing onto the rush plain, covering several thousand square kilometers. Dispersed in posts, by company or by section, the units wage merciless battles against the rebels. The regiment's stay in Cochinchina was sanctioned by a citation to the army on July 14, 1947. In September of the same year, the 3°R.E.I. is engaged in Tonkin. After a series of battles, the battalions established themselves on R.C.3 and R.C.4 between the Middle Region and the Chinese border.

Badge created in 1946 then abandoned because of its style, which suggests that the dragon holds the regiment in its claws.

Manufacture: D.Ber, silver variant and local manufacture."

Another one, Philippe Bartlett "Badges of the French Foreign Legion 1923~1989" ISBN 2-950 4247

-page 19, I quote: "3° Foreign Infantry Regiment (3° REI) Type V Period: 1950 Manufacturer: Drago, localy made in the Far-Eas, restrike: Yes, rarity 2"

Yours sincerely,

No one

Dear Leuchtturm,

I can confirm that your badge is a Drago restrike (A84) from 1984. It is priced at no more than 10 euros/US$.

The original is not a rare item. Bartlett's scale has '1' as the lowest and '5' as the highest.

Yours sincerely,

No one