News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Period article about Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the (Prussian) Crown

I´ve stumbled upon this article from period press about a "new" order, the Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the (Prussian) Crown, published in 1901.

Here is the translation:

"About a new decoration.
    The showcase of the Royal Court Jewelers J. Godet & Sohn, Friedrichstraße 167, in which a new decoration was exhibited, apparently intended by the Emperor for the returning Field Marshal Count von Waldersee, allured great attention. It is the Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Crown, consisting of a large eight-pointed blue enamel cross with a Roman W II with the crown in the four corners and the motto "God with us" in the center. This cross is worn on a blue ribbon around the neck, accompanied by a golden star to be worn on the left breast, which looks almost exactly like the star of the Grand Cross of the Order of the Red Eagle, with the only difference that the star of the Royal Order of the Crown contains the above-mentioned motto."

1. According to German Wikipedia, KO was instituted in four classes and there is no Grand Cross degree, only 1st Class neck decoration with breast star.

According to English Wikipedia, there is a Grand Cross degree (and four additional classes) but the description for both Grand Cross and the 1st Class is in fact the same. The examples shown match the description in the article regarding the breast star, but not the neck cross ("large eight pointed blue enamel cross with...the crown in the four corners").

2. The article says the "order" is new, while the Order of the Prussian Crown was established in 1861. There were some following updates, but none of them took place in 1901 and/or included the Grand Cross degree.

3. According to available sources, Count von Waldersee received oakleaves to his Pour le Mérite upon returning from China.

I would appreciate if someone can help me to explain what is going on here. Personally, I can find explanation only for the 3rd point, although without any evidence. Graf Waldersee was probably not comfortable with possible receiving of the Crown Order, even though in the highest degree, so the Kaiser decided to rather award him with oaks to PlM. But for the previous two points I can not find any explanation.

GK Kronenorden.jpg

3 hours ago, Komtur said:

I am aware of that similarity, there are just a few issues with it:
    - The article clearly states "Es ist das Grosskreuz des königlichen Kronenordens" (It is a Grand Cross of the Royal Crown Order).
    - The description of the ribbon fits the Kronenorden (blau Band - blue ribbon), not the Verdienstorden (blue ribbon with two golden stripes).
    - According to the article, the award was worn as a neck order ("um das Hals getragen"),

whilst the Verdienstorden (Order of Merit of the Prussian Crown) was worn as a sash badge.

1 hour ago, kasle said:

I am aware of that similarity, there are just a few issues with it:
    - The article clearly states "Es ist das Grosskreuz des königlichen Kronenordens" (It is a Grand Cross of the Royal Crown Order).
    - The description of the ribbon fits the Kronenorden (blau Band - blue ribbon), not the Verdienstorden (blue ribbon with two golden stripes).
    - According to the article, the award was worn as a neck order ("um das Hals getragen"),

whilst the Verdienstorden (Order of Merit of the Prussian Crown) was worn as a sash badge.

So the description seems to be as usual bad researched for some kind of yellow press. 🤔

Posted (edited)

Well, I think it is a dead end to suppose that the article in question is just a bad researched description of Verdienstorden. It was published in August 1901, while Verdienstorden was instituted on January 18, 1901 - and on the same day awarded at least to three persons, including Wilhelm II. So even from this perspective, the article from August can´t describe the Verdienstorden, if it speaks about a "new award intended for Graf von Waldersee".

There is still a possibility that this award remained in prototype when Count von Waldersee refused it and took rather the PlM oaks. Wilhelm II could be very well aware of the fact that this would happen to him often with high ranking officers. These guys were definitely not in love with Kronenorden, regardless of the class.

Edited by kasle

On 30/05/2024 at 23:56, kasle said:

Well, I think it is a dead end to suppose that the article in question is just a bad researched description of Verdienstorden.

Well, using Occam´s razor I am quite confident, that this supposion is appropriate.