News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Voroshilov Young Shooter and PVHO badges

Hello!

Long time since activity here. I do occasionally browse this forum for knowledge and time to give something back, a short vacation story..

So this is a fun find at a flea market in Provence, France. Interesting items pop up in unexpected places. Saw these four badges in a small box, decided not to buy at first but then came back after some thinking. I know not much about badges but the one with the gas mask looked familiar.. At least it has an appealing design in my eyes so why not.

Very nice gentleman with an offer I cannot refuse, 30Euro for all four. Great! Now I have a fun researching project and a small instant collection.

I believe I got four OSOAVIAKHIM organization badges, where two are called "Voroshilov young shooter badge" and the other two "Ready for PVHO".

If you read and have further information or can correct my description, please do.

IMG_2786s.jpg.594c3795dc5711bfa32bca2e473d69fa.jpg

The young shooter badges for children, the pioneers.

It was awarded between 1934 and 1941. 550 thousand children were awarded this badge, I read somewhere.

Measures 30mm high.

Reaching the marksman quality of the Voroshilov shooter badge for adults?

IMG_2789s.thumb.jpg.de12f698f71b45650b07633affbd2417.jpgIMG_2790s.thumb.jpg.104385639c98084efa0b339d9333056b.jpgIMG_2785s.thumb.jpg.b0a21bcb9f8d5715070b876a5266c97b.jpg

The PVHO badges are of the type 2 without suspension, produced between 1939 and 1941 before discontinued due to the war.

Measures 24mm high.

Numbers produced, anyone know?

IMG_2788s.thumb.jpg.d62fc2bc884518a68b188882aab8d5cc.jpgIMG_2784s.thumb.jpg.a75eeccf645cc0e87fde49263f5066ae.jpg

All in excellent condition, no enamel damage, just dirt. Silver plating still there, but oxidized.

All seem to be manufactured by the same mint, do you know which?

Hello Eric!

I seem to have found the information regarding production years and they match the reference litterateur you provided, thank you! 

The bold numbers to the right I guess is an estimate value?
    What book is it from?

1544.c Voroshilov and 1551.a PVHO must be what I have.

Very nice to see the PVHO “no2” badge! Never seen before.

Funny that at the fleamarket, I thought the Young Voroshilov badges were going to be badges for firemen. 🔥

> The bold numbers to the right I guess is an estimate value?

Yes.  In Roubles, and they are not very accurate anymore.

> What book is it from?

It's called 'Avers 8' and is an invaluable reference. 700 pages of glorious Soviet badges.  Published in Moscow in 2008.  Super expensive these days but digital copies can occasionally be found.

>Funny that at the fleamarket, I thought the Young Voroshilov badges were going to be badges for firemen. 🔥

Yes, I can see why you might think that.