News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researching a Captain Ernest Ansell.

Hi everyone,

I recently became the owner of a most unusual sword with an etched presentation inscription in which Capt. Herbert Ansell is named as the doner. The sword is unusual because it was made by Henry Wilkinson, Pall Mall, London but is in the form of an Indian Tulwar. I would have said it was unique but having done some investigating, I have found a beautiful example made by Wilkinson in 1879 for Commander in Chief, Bombay Army, with hallmarked silver hilt. This was sold by Christie’s in 2014. In fact it was apparently one of five, with consecutive numbers 21800 to 21804, ordered by this C in C. So, whilst mine is certainly unusual, it’s not unique.

I am not a military researcher and have had assistance. Thus far, I understand the Captain was connected to the 1st Middlesex - Victoria Rifle Volunteers, not the regular army. This was established from reference to members of a Masonic Lodge called the Victoria Rifles and his title confirmed in a census / voters list, not from records of the Military unit. He was also listed as a Director of Companies and Actuary. He lived in Surrey. No other mention could be found of him being an officer in the regular army, medal rolls etc.

Now to the recipient - Jack F. Raspin. Raspin is an uncommon name found mostly in Yorkshire and concentrated within a fairly close radius of Hull. My friend could find only a John F. Raspin but found press cuttings where he was named ‘John (Jack) F. Raspin’, so Jack is probably what he was known as although probably not his actual name. Not uncommon. This chap, born 1888, was in the Wool combing business and located in Bradford. Again a press entry referred to his association with the Brotherhood, which is the only connection we have found to link the two men, that, and both being businessmen.

The sword’s inscription says Raspin served as a Special Constable in the Great War, 1914-19 and says the sword is an Indian Frontier Police Tulwar. Research failed to find either men on passenger lists to India and I feel it much more likely he was in the British Special Constabulary. 

If anyone can confirm anything regarding Ansell’s military service, I’d be so grateful. In fact, any suggestions greatly appreciated. This was clearly a generous and expensive gift but it doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me at the moment!

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevin.

2024-07-24 09-23-19.jpeg

2024-07-18 12-28-18.jpeg

2024-07-18 12-27-44.jpeg

2024-07-18 12-28-14.jpeg

2024-07-24 09-21-19.jpeg

Edited by 5016
    Mistake

For the sharp-eyed, the name in title (Ernest) is wrong . It is Herbert, as in text! Doing two research projects and got them confused. A senior moment. Unable to edit.  Sorry.

K.