News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Military Uniform Identification? Red Cross?

Hi all, 

please could anyone help me with any info identifying anything in this photo? Particularly interested in the man seated on far right - I know he was a locomotive draughtsman by profession but we are presuming this photo is from WW1, possibly army or Red Cross judging by the cross on their uniforms? Any observations at all would be appreciated! 

many thanks IMG_9325.thumb.jpeg.e45d67fa8b3d2754abf19aab10d85cec.jpeg

4 hours ago, LMG said:

Hi all, 

please could anyone help me with any info identifying anything in this photo? Particularly interested in the man seated on far right - I know he was a locomotive draughtsman by profession but we are presuming this photo is from WW1, possibly army or Red Cross judging by the cross on their uniforms? Any observations at all would be appreciated! 

many thanks IMG_9325.thumb.jpeg.e45d67fa8b3d2754abf19aab10d85cec.jpeg

hi LMG,

The 3 uniformed are all Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC). I’m sure the circular Red Cross insignia is uniquely theirs (within the army) as opposed to an armband (with Red Cross) which I believe would indicate men assigned from within units to be stretcher bearers (& medics too maybe?) in that unit.

68733B30-5D88-428C-8028-C02E83A33696.thumb.png.45876cef113fe02642727e3f6d6adb6b.png

A8A65072-F605-4D05-B267-22A4C06886FF.thumb.png.9df7635a0b27757431da0d7621267880.png

👉 The chap on the right as we look at it is a private and has no medal ribbons. His patch can be seen to be stiff still so new on that uniform 👇008D799A-CBD1-4987-BF6B-CF1507874342.thumb.png.226ea41ab8173add95e895512e089ffa.png

👉 The chap in the middle is a corporal (2stripes) and already has several medals so has at least a few years of service behind him.👇

DDE385C9-7295-43C8-A96B-129AA2A913C1.thumb.png.a5f0023b83c6de4d3c91a31b841d45ca.png

👉 The fella on the left…he also has several medals and noticeably his RC insignia is instead on his lower sleeve and looks to me to have a crown above it maybe. I’d be tempted to say that indicates a senior NCO, Senior Sergeant but I’m not 100% sure off the top of my head, on that maybe someone can help us out here? 👇

DB44D310-2FD8-4713-93C9-A0D8D4CD59F4.thumb.png.68e5b4a4d4d62db16348b4edaab045de.png

So is one of them someone you ‘know’ or a relative? Either way it’s a nice photo especially as they are smiling and appear happy to be in it.

cheers

tony 🍻

Ps just seen again what you said about the Private, this may well be him not long after recruitment..,

this looks like a stiff new patch to me 👍575B7BF1-73BC-4642-BDCA-CDD39275869A.thumb.png.ea8e2991432ab75687dae7f370220211.png

F22E9ED6-2E72-4600-A0AD-40CA9FC88FAF.thumb.jpeg.64c75cfbbef47b134bc9501fa1b0a115.jpeg

Hi Tony - amazing! Thank you so much for this info, I spent hours searching the internet but didn’t really know what I was looking for. Yes, far right is my Grt Grandfather - I’m presuming this was ww1 so it’s the only clue as to what he may have done during the war. Brilliant! Thank you, that’s a great help! 

34 minutes ago, LMG said:

Hi Tony - amazing! Thank you so much for this info, I spent hours searching the internet but didn’t really know what I was looking for. Yes, far right is my Grt Grandfather - I’m presuming this was ww1 so it’s the only clue as to what he may have done during the war. Brilliant! Thank you, that’s a great help! 

What’s his full name LMG? I can find out a bit more for you I’m sure…

If you prefer, you can DM me his name, no problem either way 👍

tony 🍻

The photo is definitely post-WW1 as shown by the medal ribbons worn by the two men in the centre. The corporal is wearing the ribbon of the Military Medal as well as the WW1 trio and the other man wears the ribbons of the WW1 trio as well. The photo has more of a late 1920s/early 1930s look about it.        Pete.

44 minutes ago, SillyOldGrandad said:

The photo is definitely post-WW1 as shown by the medal ribbons worn by the two men in the centre. The corporal is wearing the ribbon of the Military Medal as well as the WW1 trio and the other man wears the ribbons of the WW1 trio as well. The photo has more of a late 1920s/early 1930s look about it.        Pete.

Great, thanks so much for that info Pete! 

4 hours ago, SillyOldGrandad said:

Hi Pete,

you know I don’t doubt you’re right 👍 I’m just throwing this out there because I’d like to share my thoughts… 

I was looking at the picture as pre or early Ww1, so I had assumed those were QSA, KSA &/or IGSM.
    Assuming they are indeed the ww1 medals then the conclusion must be that LMG,s GrtGFather did not serve in any capacity, home or away, during ww1. I believe he’d at least have the BWM for a war contribution as a civilian.

& If so NO ww1 medal roll to find him on.

tony 🍻

7 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Pete,

you know I don’t doubt you’re right 👍 I’m just throwing this out there because I’d like to share my thoughts… 

I was looking at the picture as pre or early Ww1, so I had assumed those were QSA, KSA &/or IGSM.
    Assuming they are indeed the ww1 medals then the conclusion must be that LMG,s GrtGFather did not serve in any capacity, home or away, during ww1. I believe he’d at least have the BWM for a war contribution as a civilian.

& If so NO ww1 medal roll to find him on.

tony 🍻

Tony, he could have served in WW1 entirely on home service in which case he would have had no medal entitlement at all.     Pete.