News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Morton & Eden Ltd catalogue no. 125 Thursday 29 February 2024

Dear Gentlemen,

I just came across the Morton & Eden Ltd catalogue no. 125, and it's absolutely stunning.

The Posthumous WW2 ‘Damiano Ridge’ V.C. to Private George Allan Mitchell, 1st Battalion, London Scottish

The Barry Weaver Collection of Medals from the Second Afghan War (Part 1)

A Collection of Medals to Prisoners of War

125web.pdf (mortonandeden.com)

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

I've been collecting those for years...  trick is, to keep checking the Morton & Eden site and during the run-up to the auction you can click on a link to the auction aggregator site Invaluable to see images of ALL items not just the ones in the printed/PDF catalogues. They're still there later if you know your way around Invaluable but M&E ditch the direct link after the auction's done.

With many thanks to Morton & Eden, especially Paul, who are kind enough to allow me to use their images on my website and, over and above, send me the catalogues as well :)

I second Alex K on the deep pockets.  While M&E have been around a lot time they are not infallible.  I learned that the hard way so remember your due diligence.  Often what an auction house does not say is as important, or more so, than what they do say.

Regards,

Gordon

2 hours ago, Gordon Craig said:

I second Alex K on the deep pockets.  While M&E have been around a lot time they are not infallible.  I learned that the hard way so remember your due diligence.  Often what an auction house does not say is as important, or more so, than what they do say.

Regards,

Gordon

I think this is a story I’d like to hear Gordon

Dear Gentlemen,

Madam Megan wrote, I quote "With many thanks to Morton & Eden, especially Paul, who are kind enough to allow me to use their images on my website and, over and above, send me the catalogues as wel"

I'm wondering if our Paul Wood:

image.png.c2c99b2d3e886e9232dfe479c0558947.png

and Morton & Eden Ltd's Paul Wood are the same person?

image.png.873a8345d951f9a874f4dd409a7e84fd.png

Yours sincerely,

No one

Dear No-One... I couldn't possibly say (I'll leave him to comment if he wishes) 🤓

I do find mistakes, indeed the very catalogue that started this thread has one in the first item listed. BOTH medals are Argentinian.

But who doesnt make mistakes? I know I do. That's the nice thing about writing websites, you can go and correct them when you or someone else spots one!

Edited by Megan
    Guess what? I made a spelling mistake!

On 03/10/2024 at 10:53, JewittDan said:

I think this is a story I’d like to hear Gordon

This was the first, and only time, that I have ordered anything from M&E.  The auction was for an assortment of medals.  I did what research I could on the medals of interest in the assortment but couldn't find much on line about them.  The successful cost was not high.  Once I had the medals of interest in hand more research did not reveal any additional information.  I went to what I thought was the relevant forum and posted pictures of the medals.  The answer was that there were two  firms that produced the copies that I had bought and in every instance the ribbons were not correct for the medal.  The copies are pretty good but not useful in my collection.  It wasn't worth it to return the medals considering postage etc. so I kept the medals and chalked it up to a learning experience.  I also gained contact with a knowledgeable collector in the medals in question so that was a plus.  The medals were from a small country with little to no information on them in print or on line.  As was said above, auction houses can not know everything about the medals they auction off.  I do not regret the transaction and haven't bought anything from M&E lately because there was nothing to buy of interest.  And there are sooooooooooooooooo many auction houses!!!!!

Regards,

Gordon