News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A One-Piece Painted EK II on Non-Com Bar.

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

I have had this piece in my collection for about 4 years now, it is one of my very first EK 1914 II Class pieces, and its a strange one, bought at a flea-market in Bavaria, the ribbon is for sure a replacement and if I had a blacklight probably would glow as much as the landscape around Chernoyble, Russia. :P What got my attention was the silver rim did not seem to dull with time and with closer investigation I discovered the following:

The cross itself is a one piece casting, no idea what the material is, but it weighs 22grams.

The measurements are 43mm, left to right arms.

42.5mm top to bottom arms (without ribbon ring and fixing).

There are no makers marks at all.

Upon close examination it can be determined the black has been painted on.

And on the "F.W." side, running top to bottom there is a hair-line mold-flaw running from about 4mm to the left of the ribbon ring mount, along the edge of the crown into the edge of the oak-leaf from the tip of the acorn, into the top of the "3" in 1813, then from the bottom of the "3" into the silver rim.

I hesitate to use the word "Fake" or "Repro", but Jeweler's "replacement" springs to mind as the attention to detail is very good.

I attach pictures accordingly and wait for your learned opinions. :beer:

Kevn in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kevin,

I agree with you, this is just too nice to be a fake. Look at how nicely the suspension is put on and with solid materials intended to be used. With a seamless ring, not seen any fakes with those. Can you tell what the base metal is? Perhaps peeking through on one of the corners etc.. I don't know if these were some of those issued in the 20's or whether they are period duplicates. Either way, I like them. Here is one of mine in bronze that is very close to yours.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I might as well show the whole family. The top ones are two piece strikes soldered together and the three on the bottom are one piece strikes. All are brass/bronze construction.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I might as well show the whole family. The top ones are two piece strikes soldered together and the three on the bottom are one piece strikes. All are brass/bronze construction.

IPB Image

WoW Dan :beer: those pieces are great looking :love: so hijack away :P , I have never come across anymore since I got that one, your ones in Bronze/Brass are really nice :D are the very collectable or command a slightly lower price because they are 1 piece?? forgive my ignorance on the subject :blush:

As to the material I have no idea, but its not lead or zink, could it be the same stuff as yours painted / plated??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Kevin,

I would say that the price is usually lower for these because many collectors only want top quality silver framed pieces. To me these are just as interesting, if not more so because I collect variations of the EK2. These are rarely found in top condition, which makes yours just that much better. Yes they were silver plated and then the centers were painted. The plating on some was probably very thin and flaked or wore off over the years.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy