News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bugstern

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This decoration was created on 1 February 1919 by the unit commander, Major (first name unknown to me) Kobe von Koppenfels, formerly of Train Bataillon 15:

[attachmentid=40852]

Numbers in the unit are unknown to me. THIS specific highly vaulted, hollow-stamped badge was considered of poor quality (!!!!) whereupon Meybauer in Berlin produced an enamel version in real silver that can be found in pin- and screw-back versions.

So Johanniter-Knight Kobe von Koppenfels might have been a mere "baggage handler," but this was obviously a "toney" outfit!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

I have a first name for you ;)

Major Waldemar Kobe von Koppenfels born in Erfurt on 27 September 1874. The Good Major was not always a "baggage handler" but was originally commissioned into the 2. Hannoversches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 26 on the 18th of August 1894. He served with this Field Artillery Regiment including service as the Adjutant of I./FAR 26 until transfering to Husaren-Regiment K?nig Humbert von Italien (1. Kurhessisches) Nr. 13 in the second half of 1904. He was seconded to the Rheinisches Train-Bataillon Nr. 7 on the 1st of April 1908 for a year followed by his definitive transfer to that branch of service in 1909 in the same unit. He was promoted to Rittmeister, provisionally without a Patent on the 18th of October 1909 and appointed as the company commander of 3./T.B. 9 the same day. He received his substantive promotion to Rittmeister on the 16th of June 1911 having in the meantime been tranfered as the company commander of 2./T.B. 2. His final prewar transfer was as the company commander of 2./Els?ssische Train-Abteilung Nr. 15. on the 22nd of March 1914.

Sekonde-Lieutenant/Leutnant: 18.8.94 U8u

Oberleutnant: 15.9.04 F

Rittmeister: 16.6.11 P6p

Major: 18.7.17 Y

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

THAT was a DOUBLY peculiar career! :speechless1: He must have settled in before thinking about re-re-transferring into the submarine service, I guess! :cheeky:

Very odd indeed, since he obviously had private means as well as his title. Thanks! :cheers:

• 1 year later...
    • 5 months later...

Good evening! May be somebody has an information on this badge: versions (come across also made of buntmetall, versilbert buntmetall), quantity. Also the information of this division (before it was used to form Brigade Olita), disposition, manpower strenght, etc... Thanks.