News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was wondering if anyone has any informattion on a Wolf von Eichhorn-Beleive he was an officer on the S.M.S. Nassau Appears to have been an Oberlentuant. Also a Carl von Horn-Generalmajor.

I have want appears to be some sort of a diary from Wolf. Lots of telegrams and such-I can't read the old German script that well. Thanks for any help. MIke

Guest Rick Research

Soooo, post SCANS, you! :P

Wolf von Eichhorn was born 11 September 1883. Alive 1963 in Bad Homburg with wife Hildegard (b. 4.2.86), but dead by 1980. Served in navy April 1902 to May 1919.

Oberleutnant zur See 7.2.07

Kapit?nleutnant zS 22.3.13 Ww

char. Korvkapt zS aD 23.12.19

Before the war he had Bav MMO4, SEHO-Knight 2nd, and Turkish Medjidie 4th. (He was probably entitled to the Colonial Medal with bar "Venezuela 1902-03" since most of the 1902 Cadets served during that blockade). WW1 EK1 and 2 and...

HHOX 24.4.18 as commander of torpedoboat "G95" of the Flanders flotilla.

1939 Associate Board Member of Metallgesellschaft A.G. of Frankfurt am Main. No apparent WW2 military service.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Yup, announcing his engagement to Hildegard von Horn, daughter of the Commandant of Spandau, Generalmajor Carl von Horn and his wife Veronika n?e Baroness von Heyking.

Carl von Horn born in Danzig 10 September 1853. Generalmajor 27.1.07 and charakterisiert Generalleutnant mere days after the cards went out, 22 March 1910. He died in 1913.

The next is Epique Poesy, oh my, declaimed by the scribbled von Horn apparently AT the wedding.

Guest Rick Research

Wedding congrats telegram from an Oberst (can't read name) with wife and kids.

Next dad and firstborn.

Just previous, some sort of dinner in 1913-- that's the seating arrangement next to the event's musical program. Anybody recognize what appears to be a UNIT cipher at top left with a "3"?

Now, WOLF von Eichhorn was born in Metz (now France) 11 September 1883, son of the later Generallfeldmarschall Hermann vin Eichhorn and Jenny Jordan.

GFM von Eichhorn (born 13.2.1848 in Breslau, son of Regierungsrat Hermann Eichhorn, who was given hereditary nobility in 1856) was the ONLY German Field Marshal to die by violence in World War One. He and his adjutant were gunned down on the street in pacified, occupied Kiev on 13 July 1918 while Bolshevik Russia and Imperial Germany were supposededly at truce after the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.

As relations sort themselves out, 3rd down on the right side of the table plan is Wolf's brother Dr. jur. Lothar von Eichhorn, next to Hildegard.

Yup, announcing his engagement to Hildegard von Horn, daughter of the Commandant of Spandau, Generalmajor Carl von Horn and his wife Veronika n?e Baroness von Heyking.

The next is Epique Poesy, oh my, declaimed by the scribbled von Horn apparently AT the wedding.

Hey, Rick, I'm confused (as usual :P ). I thought a female baron in Germany was a Freifrau or Freifraulein. Why does this card say Baroness? :unsure:

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Guest Rick Research

Actually a female Freiherr is a Freiin.

"Baroness" as well as "Baron" were casually used in southern Germany... and here I suspect eez jus a Frainchy affectahsheeon.

Actually a female Freiherr is a Freiin.

"Baroness" as well as "Baron" were casually used in southern Germany... and here I suspect eez jus a Frainchy affectahsheeon.

Ooops, I remember that title now! However, I have seen Freifrau used as the title Baroness. I know Wikpedia is not the most reliable source sometimes, but it says this: The wife of a Freiherr is called Freifrau (German for "Free Lady"), a daughter of a Freiherr is called Freiin (short for Freiherrin). Is this incorrect?

Guest Rick Research

:beer: Thanks Chip!

Which means that Hildegard (probably) used their music program for some completely unrelated June 1913 meal's SCRAP paper planning seating arrangements--

none of those folks had any relation to that unit.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm a new member of this club. As of right now, I am the proud owner of this album. I'd like to thank the earlier posters on this topic for answering the many questions that I had about Wolf. So he seems to have commanded a torpedo boat towards the end of the war. Any idea if he served at Jutland. Does anyone know when he or Hildegard passed away?

John

Guest Rick Research

I still haven't been able to find any Naval Officers Association directories from 1964 to 1979.

They (Marine-Offiziere-Vereinigung) still exist and would presumably have posted his obituary in their newsletter. There may also be something online from German nobility sites I am unaware of, given how prominent the families were.

• 4 years later...