News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Deutsches Reich Arbeitsbuch

Hello there gentlemen,

I just acquired this great Arbeitsbuch on the weekend on a trip to Edmonton, and it is a great example from a man who worked all throughout the war, Emil Dohrne. He was born in on Okt. 21, 1880 so he would have been 65 in 1945, cooincidentally when his last entry is in the book (March 25/1945). He would have been just a few months short of retirement! I wonder what happened to this fellow, as he was busy throughout the war and then it stops in March of 1945. If anyone can decipher the German entries for me and shed some light on what exactly this gent did for a living that would be great. He has one stamp for working at the police department, and that appears to be the only Nazi occupation he held. Here is the outside of the book (well worn and someone stapled it together post-war I believe as the old staples had rusted through).

Pat

And here is where I would like some help, my German is very beginner so I cannot decipher what job he actually held. Here is the first page of Emil Dohrn's many tours of labour...

Pat

I have a hunch he worked in a brewery through 41-44, as he was getting on in years. Perhaps a lifetime beer-maker? Here is the last entry, when Emil was in his 65th year. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Pat

I have a hunch he worked in a brewery through 41-44, as he was getting on in years. Perhaps a lifetime beer-maker? Here is the last entry, when Emil was in his 65th year. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Pat

Hallo Pat :beer:

I think Kellner means Barman?? :unsure: and the stamps are from the Bars he worked in.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Seems to make sense Kevin, but what about the year he worked for the Police? It has a different occupation listed other than Kellner but it appears to be beer related as well (lagerarb.....something). Well I guess this man was having a good time throughout the war into his old age! It appears he stayed in Duisburg for the duration of the war, probably as a bartender I suppose. Any more help in deciphering this arbeitsbuch is welcome, and thanks again to Kev :beer:

Pat

Seems to make sense Kevin, but what about the year he worked for the Police? It has a different occupation listed other than Kellner but it appears to be beer related as well (lagerarb.....something). Well I guess this man was having a good time throughout the war into his old age! It appears he stayed in Duisburg for the duration of the war, probably as a bartender I suppose. Any more help in deciphering this arbeitsbuch is welcome, and thanks again to Kev :beer:

Pat

Hallo Pat, :beer: depending on the size of Duisburg, perhaps he worked in a police-bar or club for the police? I am sure they liked to have tipple or two :cheers: and not in surroundings with too many ears around to hear them discusing the details of the job :P.

Any chance of a close up of the Police stamp?? :jumping:

Hallo Pat, :beer:

Maybe he worked as a Police helper - part time policeman?? Ricky we need your expert eagle eye over here, pleeeeasseee.

I located this info on the net about Duisburg, near ESSEN:

DUISBURG In World War II.

A major logistical center in the Ruhr and location of chemical, steel and iron industries, Duisburg was a primary target of Allied bombers. Not only the industrial areas but also residential areas were attacked by Allied bombs. As an entry to the Ruhr, there were daily warnings of bombing raids in 1943.

1941: between 12/13 June British bombers drop a toal of 445 tonnes of bombs

1943: 577 British bombers destroy the old city on 12/13 May with 1599 tons of bombs: 96,000 people are made homeless.

1944: The city was badly damaged as a total of 2000 tons of bombs drop on 22 May; on October 14 this amount was doubled when 2018 Halifax, Lancaster and Mosquito bombers appeared over Duisburg as part of Operation Hurricane. Numerous similar attacks follow.

1945: The city has under artillery barrage from 3 April 1945. On 12 April 1945 military units of the U.S. 9th Army enter Duisburg. On May 8, 1945 the ADSEC Engineer Group A, led by Col. Helmer Swenholt, commanding officer of the 332nd Engineer General Service Regiment, constructed a railroad bridge between Duisburg and Rheinhausen across the Rhine River. This bridge was 2,815 feet (0.86 km) long, and constructed in six days, fifteen hours and twenty minutes, a record time. This Bridge was named the "Victory Bridge".

A total of 299 bombing raids had almost completely destroyed the historic cityscape. 80% of all residential buildings had been destroyed or partly damaged. Almost the whole of the city had to be rebuilt, and most historic landmarks had been lost.

The above might be a reason why kept moving bars and why he either lost his job or his life :speechless1:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 1 month later...

He worked in a "Lebensmitteldepot" - a storage house for food ! This was probably run by the administration and that's why he got the police stamp.

Interesting however, is the fact that this almost one year period of working as a "normal" worker in a warehouse, is somehow a break in his career.

Maybe he had some problems with the authorities ? And was sentenced to work in the warehouse ?

Possible is also, that this was some kind of "duty-work" when all the younger men and women were working in the labour-services of the 3rd Reich.

Interesting work-book.

Kind regards

Robert

Edited by Robert Noss

• 4 months later...

Wow, this guy really got around the workplaces! I think it would make a good movie, following his life during the war. I had the choice of this beat up and well-used Arbeitsbuch or a minty one with 2 entries for the same price, so I took this one. Seems like it was the right one, as this is an interesting story of an elderly waiter/server/barman who worked through the war during heavy bombings. Sometimes the mint ones aren't the best! Any more deciphering of the scribbles is welcomed and thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

Pat :beer: