News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Grandfather's masonic medal and pin

I'd be interested if anyone here can tell me something about this medal and pin?

They were awarded to my grandfather. He never spoke about being a free mason and must admit I know nothing about it. The medal says at the top "70th Master, 1975-76".

Thanks for any help!

IPB Image

Lee

I found the following information about Lodge No. 3171:-

Edward and Alexandra Lodge No 3171

Consecrated on 19 October 1906

Meets at Halsey Masonic Hall, Watford [England]

In 1906, preparations were in hand for the Coronation of King Edward and his Queen, Alexandra. Some prominent Brethren were inspired to form a Lodge in Hertfordshire with a Royal Title.

A Petition was deposited and the title "Edward and Alexandra" was approved and formally acknowledged by a telegram received at the Consecration Ceremony which read as follows, "I am commanded by the King to thank the Members of the Edward and Alexandra Lodge for their good wishes" signed, Ponsonby.

That's a beautiful medal Humber. Thanks for posting it.

The "70th Master" heading on my grandfather's medal. Does that mean the 70th Master appointed for that year or does it mean the 70th master since the founding of the Lodge in 1906, can anyone tell me?

If the latter, presumably it is a small lodge or is it normal in English freemasonry for only a small number of members to be made Master Masons?

There is only one 'Worshipful Master' Per year, which is what your jewel represents (the principal officer or leader of the lodge)....yours is the 70th W. Master since the lodges foundation making it presented in the lodges calendar year 1975-76...these are presented by the Brethren of the Lodge to the W. Master of the year and I will be most surprised if there isn't an inscription to that effect on the back of the jewel.

Write or email the Secretary of the Lodge with your Grandfathers name and I'm sure he will provide you with all the historical details.

All UGLE lodges are small in comparison to the USA.

The word 'Master' on the top bar does not mean Master Mason (he is indeed a Master Mason), it refers to the 'Master of the Lodge'...The Worshipful Master....the guy in charge of the lodge for that year.

Edited by Humber

Thanks Humber, I had forgotten about the inscription on the back. It's actually on the back of the hanging set-square emblem. It says that the medal was awarded to my grandfather in appreciation of his service as "WM" in 1975-76. Until now the "WM" was meaningless to me.

Your explanation is very helpful and interesting. I will take your suggestion to try contacting the lodge. Maybe there are still members there who remember my grandfather.

How are WMs appointed? Is it on a kind of rota basis depending on length of membership or are WMs voted for by the membership?

Thanks again!

Lee

Edited by PsyWar.Org

Thanks Humber, I had forgotten about the inscription on the back. It's actually on the back of the hanging set-square emblem. It says that the medal was awarded to my grandfather in appreciation of his service as "WM" in 1975-76. Until now the "WM" was meaningless to me.

Your explanation is very helpful and interesting. I will take your suggestion to try contacting the lodge. Maybe there are still members there who remember my grandfather.

How are WMs appointed? Is it on a kind of rota basis depending on length of membership or are WMs voted for by the membership?

Thanks again!

Lee

In the USA worshipful masters are elected by the membership of the lodge. I would image it's the same in the UK, but I don't know that for a fact.

In the USA worshipful masters are elected by the membership of the lodge. I would image it's the same in the UK, but I don't know that for a fact.

Thanks Mike. I guess it would be the same in the UK too.

I forget to ask about the jewelled pin. Does anyone know the significance of the pin? Does it donate an achievement within freemasonry, say becoming a Master Mason or WM, or is it something worn by all members or purely an optional thing?

Edited by PsyWar.Org

The WM is elected by the Brethren each year, usually the Senior Warden of the previous year, but the prerequisite is that he must either have been a Warden in a lodge for a full year or a previous Worshipful Master of a lodge.

The pin has no particular significance other than to show that he is a Freemason of a particular rank. You seem to be showing two pins, or is it a pin and a fob, anyway they are for two different degrees which I will not/can't go into, there are plenty of explanations on the Internet out there.

Some wear the lapel pins, watch fobs and signet rings, they are purely optional. In the UK the puritans regard them as advertising the fact they are on the square.

Edited by Humber