News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

No Squirrel Shall Pass! American Defense 1939-1941

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

In Europe, the "Phoney War" only lasted over the winter of 1939/40.

In American, watching and waiting, it was obvious that

sooner or later

and like Germany in the mid-1930s, a very public but largely ignored military expansion was carried on in anticipation of the inevitable.

This is the American Defense Medal. As the too low and so blurry looking relief says on back, it was awarded to military personnel who served from September 1939 until it became "official" for the U.S. on December 7, 1941.

This yellow ribbon was thus the instantly recognizable mark of a "Pre-Pearl Harbor" soldier, sailor, marine, or airman. There were various ribbon devices to indicate service outside the territorial boundaries of the then-48 states.

My sister's godfather, who enlisted in 1940 after graduating from high school and still finding no jobs as the Depression dragged on here, started his WW2 (North Africa on) awards with this one, and ending as a grizzled young Regulars NCO with a Battle of the Bulge Bronze Star he got breaking through Wehrmacht lines as his green new replacement division surrendered en masse around him. My great-uncle John, who had been an underaged Doughboy (when teenagers in New York City could LEGALLY buy pistols) in the First, before they gave them numbers, World War had gone on to college through the Reserve Officer Training Program in the early 1920s, and found himself "activated" just as civilians were starting to make Real Money again as one among many married, father of two, overaged and underpaid Captains, adding this to his WW1 Victory Medal, making TWO ribbons on his immaculately tailored uniform. Ironically, the dapper silver haired Major would spend a large part of his war in a loincloth in the stinking jungles of New Guinea, wearing no ribbons or insignia at all.

I once asked about the particularly inapt symbolism of the obverse and was told it symbolized America's miniscule "take to the trees, boys!" inter-wars military, equipped with ancient equipment, and realistically able to thrash any opponent... slightly smaller than a squirrel!

Somehow, I do NOT think that is what the obtuse heraldry experts intended! cheeky

Guest Rick Research

It seems amazing to those of us born afterwards with the long two years between Poland and Pearl Harbor, with Lend Lease, the "Reuben James" and all of that, that anyone COULD have still been surprised.

I once asked about the particularly inapt symbolism of the obverse and was told it symbolized America's miniscule "take to the trees, boys!" inter-wars military, equipped with ancient equipment, and realistically able to thrash any opponent...  slightly smaller than a squirrel!

Somehow, I do NOT think that is what the obtuse heraldry experts intended!  cheeky

Thank you... That just made my entire day.

Guest Rick Research

Hey Marcus-- are you finding your American medals over THERE, or getting them from here?

The practice of issuing WW2 medal lapel ribbons was rather silly and wasteful, since except for actual decorations or the Purple Heart one, I have never seen anyone here ever WEAR a single campaign medal lapel device. Nor have I ever (unlike the Italians or French) seen MULTIPLE enamel lapel ribbons available for more complete wear.

I get them from America Rick, over here all you can really get are the modern day glossy examples and for the same price you can get a lovely period one from the States

This boxed one I bought from a surplus store in Pearl Harbour....uh hum 15 years or so ago, it was my first ever over sea's purchase, money through the post etc.

I've a few boxed ones, not as many as I'd like though.

Kr

Marcus

Experts indeed.

Somehow, I do NOT think that is what the obtuse heraldry experts intended

"...the medal was designed by Mr. Lee Lawrie, a civilian sculptor from Easton, Maryland. The model was approved by the Commission of Fine Arts on May 5, 1942." laugh.gif

Guest Rick Research

Fine must have been Good Enough? :speechless-smiley-004: Notice the tee shirt on the midget Phrygian babe. rolleyes.gif

What WERE those ninnies thinking?