News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swiss army bayonet with scabbard

Avitas

Hello all,

Stumbled upon this beauty Elsener Schwyz (inventor of Swiss Army knife and Victorinox company) Swiss army bayonet. It has serial number 205743 marked on it as well as "Elsener Schwyz". The blade is still sharp and untainted. I have done some searching on it and I can't quite pin the model. It could be a M1911 or M1931, or maybe a 1918 Schmidt Rubin bayonet. The blade is 300 mm long (11 3/4 inches) and the handle is about 130 mm including the hilt (5 1/4 inches) for a total length of 430 mm or 17 inches. The scabbard has an engraved script "P" on the top and the small cross of Switzerland on the round tip. The swiss cross also appears on the top of the hilt midsection. Any help on the model and year of this bayonet is greatly apreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Pat

Here is a close up of the handle and markings for identification purposes, and a shot of the scabbard. ANy help on the id and any other comments on this bayonet are welcome!

Cheers :beer:

Pat

After further study, I believe it is a Model 1918 Schmidt Rubin as the measurements match exactly to one I found on a search I did for "elsener schwyz bayonet". THe diameter of the fixing hole is 14mm. It also has the double edged blade which is characteristic as well. Apparently these are a rarer Swiss bayonet. Any more thoughts on this great bayo?

Thanks,

Pat

With the sizes you give,it is indeed a model 1918 Schmidt-Rubin.The maker is interesting as most were made by Nuehausen.I don't know how that affects the value though.It was a very well used bayonet as they fit the M-1911,M-1931,and several sub machine guns up into the 50's.Too bad about the leather belt loop missing on the scabbard,but still a very nice bayo in great shape.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jim,

I still am impressed with how the blade has kept in near mint condition, those Swiss know their steel! I will have to keep a lookout for the leather piece and if anyone out there has one available please PM me. This is one of two bayonets I have (other one is a ww1 German issue) and I hope to find a few more soon as they really are a great item to collect.

Cheers,

Pat