News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on an '1870' EK1...

Hello. Until recently I had been under the mistaken impression that well known auction houses with distinguished reputations would be more knowledgeable and honest about items that pass through their gates. Of course I have been proved wrong. Disillusionment is setting in and I am beginning to question everything I own.

This item was purchased from a well known Hamburg auction house with the same initial as the city where it is located. It was purchased as an 1870 cross that was made in the 1920's, but now that I doubt the source I get bad feelings on several fronts. Of course that might just as well be paranoia. :unsure:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Opinions appreciated. Please let me know if better/different pictures are required.

Thank You.

Edited by KeithB

Sorry Keith, but that looks like a post '39 frame to me. It has the wide arms like a 1939 EK1. Not crazy about the "soft" edges on the core details either. Probably a Latvian fake helped along with some better hardware. Not to many 90+ year old vets out there buying crosses then. Can you get a refund?

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Hello

I too would agree that this cross was made sometime after 1939. From what I can see of the pin, hinge and catch it is reminiscent of an S&L, (Stienhauer & Luck) or possibly, at a pinch, a Klien und Quenzer. Both were war time producers of EKs and it is possible - probable even - that they may have produced 1870 EKs for museums and display purposes.

For my pennies worth, as the expresion goes, I think the pin, hinge and catch set up is to good for it to be a Latvian fake. I'd say it's a WW2 produced piece for a museum or display purposes. Sadly, I would have to say that, in my opinion, it is not contempary to the 1870 period.

Hi. Thanks for both of the replies. It was never sold as an original 1870 piece and was purchased at a discount relative to an original, so the fact that it is not original is ok. I did a size comparison with my lone '39 EK1 and it is a perfect match.

I think I am going to post a couple of photos of where the frames come together because it almost looks like someone may have taken a '39 cross, removed and replaced the core, and resoldered it. There are some somewhat deep indentations as if it wasn't put back together tightly. Has anybody ever seen/heard of anybody doing this sort of thing?

In any case I think I'm stuck with it.

:(