News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stasi Jubilee Badges XX and XXXV

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Just got these in ( :cheers: Gordon) and am completely out of my depth here. I've tried searching Stasi items here and didn't find any like these, so sorry if there's a thread that I missed.

Both are in thin white plastic (like old-fashioned celluloid) boxes with lift off covers

Even I can tell they are jubilee pins for the 20th and 35th years of the Stasi's existence.

:blush: But what years WOULD those have been, assuming perhaps an official foundation later (or earlier) than that of the DDR itself--like the police/army?

Close up of the XX.

Guest Rick Research

The XXXV has a clear plastic cover held in by a higher rim.

Are these simply jubilee pins given to all members serving in those years, or some sort of "bester" badge given as a type of award in those Special years?

Well, from the feder book:

"Fur inoffizielle Mitarbeiter und gesellschaftliche Kraefte hatte dieses Abzeichen den Charakter einer Auszeichnung.

Zum Abzeichen gehorte eine Urkunde.

Die emallierten Abzeichen wurden nur an die Partei-und Staatsfuhrung der DDr und an auslanische gaste verliehen.

Apparently there was a 40!!!! year one-awarded in Feb. 1990 !

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: "inoffizielle Mitarbeiter und gesellschaftliche Kraefte"...

so was this for INFORMERS, rather than uniformed personnel? Where would a squealer openly WEAR one? :speechless1:

:Cat-Scratch: "inoffizielle Mitarbeiter und gesellschaftliche Kraefte"...

so was this for INFORMERS, rather than uniformed personnel? Where would a squealer openly WEAR one? :speechless1:

classsrooms, work places etc?

Lots apparently went to foreigners.

Rick,

I think the STASI counted their years from their official foundation. IE Passing of the "Law regarding the formation of a Ministry for State Security" on 8 Feb. 1950. Ralph Pickard will certainly have covered these pins in his new book. Since Ralph's book is waiting for me at my brother-in-laws house in Halifax I can not refer to it now. I am sure these pins have been discussed in the DDR Forum of the WAF. We've talked about everything else! I have a few myself in the boxes you talked about. There are certainly lots of them around so they were handed out freely. Always nice to have a new badge to research.

Regards,

Gordon

Guest Rick Research

:beer: So maybe it was a case of

"Why DON'T you have one? Why are you NOT cooperating with State Security?" :speechless1:

:cheeky:

Were these issued EVERY year (XXIII?) or only on the increments-of-5 "anniversary" years?

I've got the old 1970s DDR book on awards, but nothing on this sort of badges.

Per Gordon's note, Chapter 14 of Ralph Pickard's new book discusses Stasi Anniversary Badges and Documents. According to Ralph's book these badges were established in Feb 1970 on the 20th Anniv of the official founding of the MfS and were given every 5 years thru 1990. The Stasi was disbanded before the 40th Anniv badges could be issued. He also states that these badges were not only issued to staff members but some foreign officers and family members of Stasi staff as well. This section of the book has a number of photos of these badges and award documents in color.

Ralph's excellent book Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia; A Collector's Guide is available at: http://frontlinehistorical.com/index.html

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Kevin! I'm in fresh waters here, since my entire "DDR collection" is the last naval commandant of Rostock's Konteradmiral overcoat. :beer:

Kevin,

Thanks for looking up these badges in Ralph's book. Now, once I get my hands on my copy of the book, I only have to look in chapter 14 to update my knowledge.

Cheers,

Gordon

I put it on my Santa list. If my wife takes the hint (and follows the link) I'll be happy. i suspect I might be in for a waffle toaster though.

I put it on my Santa list. If my wife takes the hint (and follows the link) I'll be happy. i suspect I might be in for a waffle toaster though.

It's a great book in which Ralph has focused on the certificates for each of the awards given to the Stasi and the periods they were issued rather than the medals. This is because most Stasi awards were identical to what was given to the NVA or Grenztruppen, the only thing that identifies them as Stasi are the certificates. Kevin

• 1 year later...

First, the elusive un-numbered shield. The pin-backed version does not have the polyester coating on the front and it's also bronze (looks nearly copper in DDR items) plated- this is actually a flat-backed plaque that was used on gift items. I was originally disappointed that this was the only un-numbered shield I could find until Bartel's book pointed out that this was the rarer of the two.

Next, the 20th and 25th shields. Note I have two 25's- the lower left is pretty standard while the ragged-out, later model on the lower right is actually important to the collection in that it signals the shift from bronze plating to gold plating, which would continue until the end. This particular shield may well have had a polyester coating on the front which, if it did, would have designated it for presentation to V.I.P.'s.

Edited by Greg Collins

On to the 30 year shields. Note the slightly smaller odd man out on the left- this is a "muster"; a maker's sample for a new design. I've seen 3 proposal variations- this one, another which is identical except silver plated and with no white lacquer behind the type, and a third with "30" instead of XXX. Anyway, the new designs were rejected and the shield on the right is the one that was used.

Edited by Greg Collins

And, finally, the 35 and 40 year shields. Note that the 40 year shield breaks with the roman numerals. Also note the pristine 40 year shield on the right- it remained wrapped up and boxed- unissued- until it was sold to me. It represents the very last of these shields made and has a different catch mechanism which I will show in my final post.

Until the very last of the 40 year badges, the catch had been the same, and is shown here in the foreground. The last of the 40 year badges had a new, opposing tension type catch, seen in the background. This catch was also used on most, if not all, of the last medals and ribbons made in the DDR.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently acquired a couple of the certificates that accompanied these shield badges; one for 30 years and the other for 35. Both are type 1, according to Ralph Pickard's book, "Stasi Memorabilia". Both contain Mielke's stamped signature.