News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PART 3 - POLICE FORCES OF THE WORLD

Probably the most distinctive Police headgear in the World is for the British Helmet. This was originally modelled on the Prussian military headgear of the 1860's - our British Army took the pattern over and in turn, it was adopted by the Metropolitan Police from about 1863. Other Forces also gradually phased out the original Top Hats and over a period of some years it became the standard. However, some Head Constables had strange ideas - Worcester for example had a green helmet and uniform for a short while. The Home Office took control and authorised only three patterns of helmets - these continue to the present day, although the wearing of the helmet is under pressure.

The three approved types were the Bell , the Coxcomb and the Ball top. These have been shown previously under British and Commonwealth - however, I think it worthwhile to re-post them under this new ref. heading. I have also included the Womens' Bowler style - although, I believe it has already been re-modelled.

Please see the intro. post to see the other information we are hoping to add to each section.

The least popular of the adopted patterns is the 'Ball Top'. In the 19th. century it was quite common for officers' helmets to have a spike - as for the military. This was discontinued as being too dangerous - however, the Ball has been kept. I personally think it is quite elegant and certainly shows-up in a crowd situation. This one has the plate for the County of Devon.

The Womens' cap is a standard for all of Britain. The crown has built-in protection. The badges - of course - vary for each Force. This is a standard Scottish one - the badge is the same for all of their Forces. The motto - Semper Vigilo - 'always vigilant' (when not in the canteen, having tea..... only joking, ma'am)

Mervyn, my wife and I are "addicted" to British-made mystery series that are broadcast here on PBS during Masterpiece Mystery. I don't know if you're familiar with the program or not, but they consist of Agatha Christie stories, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and also stories by other British mystery writers. Just the other day we were watching the last of a series called Foyle's War. In the last episode, which occurs right after the end of World War 2, Foyle goes to another county on a murder and I noticed the constables there were wearing the ball topped helmets.

Mervyn

Regarding the three types of helmet fittings you mention I have often wondered why there were indeed three and not one standard shape. Early in my Police service I was told by an old PC that the type of helmet worn by each particuler force depended on the preference of their earliest Chief Constables. Many were ex military men and they would choose a helmet shape in line with their former service, ie an ex Cavalry Officer would opt for the comb, ex Artillery or services the ball top and ex Infantry the bell or spike.

Have you ever heard of this or was it just another old timers story?

Simon

Many thanks for the link Nick :cheers:

Thread drift I know. Here is a short film about the City of Plymouth Police's signing-off parade prior to amalgamation with the Devon & Exeter and Cornwall forces to create Devon & Cornwall Constabulary.

The Force most commonly associated with the Coxcomb helmet is the City of London. This example is for Hampshire and it is displaying a Sergeant's elaborate helmet plate.

Is the hat band made of metal or just highly polished leather?

Ed