News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudan - Governor General's Service Medals?

sabrigade

post-3034-068085300 1285832541_thumb.jpg

I purchased these medals yesterday from an old Sudanese gentleman who said that they were awarded to his grandfather.

The medal on the left is the Sudan General Service medal which was issued in 1933.

I am not sure what the medal on the right was awarded for, it appears to be General Gordon mounted on a camel?

Regards,

Will

post-3034-080084600 1285833502_thumb.jpg

OBVERSE OF THE MEDALS

I suspect it is an earlier version of the 1933 medal as it has the same Governor Generals seal on the reverse. The image of Gordon on a camel is a reproduction of the statue of Gordon which used to stand in Khartoum, possibly used as a follow up to Khedive's Sudan last awarded in 1922. I am sure however that there are some Sudanese buffs who will be able to give you chapter and verse.

All the best,

Paul

Wil / Paul,

There are four awards in this series, all instituted and noted in the Sudan Defence Force Gazette of 4 November, 1933:

Distinguished Service Decoration (Silver)

Native Officer's Decoration (Silver)

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (Bronze)

General Service Medal (Silver)

Wil - the one with the camel is the Distinguished Service Decoration - the scarcest of the series - is yours named?

The recent DNW auction had all four for sale as singles - I am missing the Native Officers Decoration from my collection and was outbid at the auction!

Regards,

Owain.

Wil / Paul,

There are four awards in this series, all instituted and noted in the Sudan Defence Force Gazette of 4 November, 1933:

Wil - the one with the camel is the Distinguished Service Decoration - the scarcest of the series - is yours named?

The recent DNW auction had all four for sale as singles - I am missing the Native Officers Decoration from my collection and was outbid at the auction!

Regards,

Owain.

Many thanks for the useful information. The literature on this series is scant to say the

least.

Paul

Wil / Paul,

Regards,

Owain.

Many thanks for the useful information. The literature on this series is scant to say the

least.

Paul

Hi Owain,

I am in Khartoum for a day or so and then again move off for field visits.

Can you send the details as we discussed telephonically?

I will try find out the recipients name of the medals from the grandson, the medals are unfortunately unnamed.

Regards,

Will

Hi Will,

The medal on the right is indeed the Sudan Defence Force Distinguished Service Decoration, instituted by the Governor General of the Sudan in 1933 and is one of a set of four Military and two Police medals awarded for this period up until independence in 1955.

A very good friend was able to get a translation of the inscription around the rim of the medal which i have copied here: As Soudan Lil Khadma al Mumtaza fi Al Maidan Which I reckon is: The Sudan: For Excellent Service in Drill or Parade. The word Maidan generally means a military display or similar but there could be another use for this word I am unaware of. But that's the gist of it. In Oman the DSM reads 'Khadima Mumtaza' (Excellent service).

Hope this helps a little.

Owain, I am lucky enough to own the full set including the two Police medals and will be framing them in the very near future.

All the Best, Brian.

post-9315-075016100 1286817927_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will,

I have uploaded scans of the two police medals that were recently sold at auction DNW.

Yes ribbons are a problem, lucky for me all the medals I have came with ribbon, but I believe the LSGC ribbon I have on mine is in fact the Afghan 1878-80 ribbon, but the right one should have the same colour edges as the Native Officers Decoration.

I only have a 3 inch length of the Distinguished Service Medal ribbon spare and also a 5 inch length of Native Officers Decoration ribbon spare.

Have you found any source in the Sudan that produces ribbon for any modern medals awarded for Sudan forces, thay may be able to help ???.

All the best, Brian,

The First up is the Anglo-Egyptian Police Distinguished Service Medal.

post-9315-083101600 1288274455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

• 1 month later...

To follow on from Will's start to this thread on "Governor General's Service Medals" I thought I would post the others in the series to round the tread off. So here they are !.

SUDAN DEFENCE FORCE NATIVE OFFICERSʼ DECORATION,

silver, complete with correct ribbon. Awarded to Native Officers of the Sudan Defence Force for 18 Years Long and Meritorious Service.

post-9315-087721900 1292491338_thumb.jpg

SUDAN DEFENCE FORCE GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL,

silver, complete with correct ribbon. Instituted in 1933 and was awarded to native personnel of the Sudan Defence Force and Police for minor campaigns, post 1933. It was also awarded for action against the Italian Forces in Southern Sudan from June 1940 to November 1941. Approximately 9000 medals were issued.

ATB Brian.

post-9315-036955000 1292493109_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Just want to say thank you to everybody who put up info here,this is great. oh any one have these medals they want to sell?no I am not kidding.

Edited by ray11