News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopian Order Menelik II Grand Cross

North Denmark

Hi All

I have this order that I would like to know more about. The star measures 83*78.8mm (123.5 grams). The badge 75 *49.2 mm. (48.8 grams). I've been told that this type was made in Paris by maker Arthus Bertrand. Hoping someone here knows more. How many Grand Cross were awarded (list of recipients), who manufactured the Order and how old it is. Please comment.

Regards

North Denmark

Edited by North Denmark

If a Bertrand or Chobillon made piece [1920s-1970s], their mark usually seen on star pin and badge suspension ring [another GMIC page details French maker marks]. If silver gilt, very likely there's a hallmark in same locations as well. Bronze gilt base material pieces, after about 1950, will have maker's marks only.

Other makers possibly include German [Dreschler in 1970s?], Italian [Gardino in 1930s] and British firms at least. A star with a Bichay of Cairo inscription exists, so probably 1940-50 issue. Da Costa of Lisbon currently manufactures this award, usually in silver-gilt. Their 'maker plate' appears on the star pin hinge attachment boss underside. Visit the official Imperial Ethiopian [Crown Council of Ethiopia] website for more info.

Numbers of awards are difficult to determine given loss of most records in Addis, numbers awarded in exile, et cetera. The award remains active under Crown Council of Ethiopia aegis.

Based on image posted alone [quality of enamel and metal work plus weight] your example likely appears to be a post 1950, probably bronze-gilt, Bertrand set. Next most likely maker, Dreschler or related firm. If you need a sash, both Bertrand and Bacqueville of Paris may have material for sale.

922F. Many thanks for the useful information. I have visited the page "Crown Council of Ethiopia." I thought this order of Menelik II ended after Haile Selassie's death in 1974, but it continued into 1996 where the order was split in two. You're right about the metal, it is bronze gilt and no makers marks as you can see on the back.

Mark. Thanks for your link, I had never found this one as it is listed as unknown. It is very cheap but I do not believe it to be "real silk". I can see they have two types for sale, which one should I choose? https://www.militari...NKNOWN_101.html - https://www.militari...UNKNOWN_97.html

I had only found these solutions but they are too expensive, especially because I might be swapping my set :speechless:

http://www.medal-medaille.com/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=8469

http://www.liverpool...ash-L23317.html

Regards

North Denmark

Edited by North Denmark

The first Military Agent sash appears French assembled and the second one German made..... Your choice may depend on whether you have a French or German set. Even though it has no maker mark, I tend to think your set is of late French [1970s] manufacture based on the reverse finish, pin shape & crown attachment rivets.

Since the mid-late 1950s, at least, almost no sashes are made of 'real silk' in any case--usually they are rayon synthetic material often with a printed morie pattern. At best, silk on cotton is used.

Edited by 922F

The first Military Agent sash appears French assembled and the second one German made..... Your choice may depend on whether you have a French or German set. Even though it has no maker mark, I tend to think your set is of late French [1970s] manufacture based on the reverse finish, pin shape & crown attachment rivets.

Since the mid-late 1950s, at least, almost no sashes are made of 'real silk' in any case--usually they are rayon synthetic material often with a printed morie pattern. At best, silk on cotton is used.

Just to be sure. You think this might be French made: https://www.militari...NKNOWN_101.html

Edited by North Denmark

I like the first one (unknown 101) since it is French made (like the medal) and better looking overall. Thanks 922F for your fantastic expertise on order medals! Your depth of knowledge is amazing! Congrats North Denmark on your beautiful grand cross order.

Thanks to you both, a pleasure to assist.

I agree with Markus that Military Agent's serrated or dentated end Menelik sash [item 5-6325] conforms most closely with your set's presumptive origin. British and German export sashes usually most frequently use fringed ends, like Military Agent's item number 5-6321.

These awards were gazetted in the Negeret Gazetta- a complete run of which (in English) I believe is in the British Library. Some war time awards however were not gazetted- as many -if not all- exile awards.

These awards were gazetted in the Negeret Gazetta- a complete run of which (in English) I believe is in the British Library. Some war time awards however were not gazetted- as many -if not all- exile awards.

Hi Ulsterman. I'm not quite sure what a "negated Gazetta" is, but there exist a record of most recipients :)

From: http://www.ethiopian...decorations.htm #TheOrderofEmperorMenelikII

"It is probable that the design of the Order was influenced by the Montenegrin Order of Danilo which had passed into abeyance with the fall of the kingdom and its absorption into the United Kingdom of Yugoslavia. This Order was also made by Arthus-Bertrand in Paris."

The "Negerata " is (apparently still) the official Ethiopian Court circular- published monthly. I have been perusing it for the original regulations. I have not yet got the Derg issues, but apparently there may be copies in California (Stanford) as well as DC.

The US Library of Congress has a run of them and they are in English as well as Ahmaric. Is there another list of recipients though? I occasionally see odd Ethiopian publications pop up and always wondered if there was a military/State/Court year book of some sort.