News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Kite breast badge with bring back papers on Ebay

taquito22

Good Evening everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has seen the ebay listed with a group of medals that includes a Golden Kite breast badge; a 4th or 5th kite with no ribbon; a 5th class Rising Sun with no ribbon; a 5th class Auspicious Cloud with no ribbon and a 5th class Pillars of State with no ribbon. Also included is the bring back paperwork that shows the Brigadier General having possession of these items upon his return to the US. What I would like to hear from everyone is:

-Do these items appear to be authentic?

-What do you think this grouping would be worth?

-Do you find it interested that the bring back paperwork lists each medal and their class fairly accurately? (I am surprised that the approving Officer was able to be so accurate with the descriptions)

I am not, in anyway, promoting this listing on Ebay. I do, however, think it makes for good discussion as I have not seen this type of grouping for sale before. (Sorry the certificate picture is so small. I can't figure out how to enlarge it)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-8665-0-15211700-1354591495.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-8665-0-06722600-1354591463.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-8665-0-77585300-1354591521.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-8665-0-09902700-1354591537.jpg

Here is the link if anyone wants to check out the listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-JAPANESE-MEDALS-/200856850646?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3908713423158817387%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200856850646%26

Also, I did some quick research. The Soldier listed on the bring back paperwork, Brigadier General Charles M. Swartz, died in 1973. His daughter, Isabelle Swartz, just died on September 26th of this year, which would make sense as to these items being listed for sale.

-Do these items appear to be authentic?

They are authentic.

Both kites came from the Showa.

1st or 2nd class breast star and 4th class.

-What do you think this grouping would be worth?

We'll see ;)

But most likely the seller will annul the auction near its end (quite usual practice ...)

-Do you find it interested that the bring back paperwork lists each medal and their class fairly accurately? (I am surprised that the approving Officer was able to be so accurate with the descriptions)

Indeed these descriptions are fairly accurate.

Most likely the approving officer was using one of these army "know your enemy" type brochures with the description of Japanese decorations inside.

Either that or he was really into Japanese and Manchu medals ;)

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. I wonder why there are no photos of "pillars of the country" :)

Edited by JapanX

Yes, I've been watching it but its a little high for my bidding. What are your thoughts on 3400?

I think anything under $10000 is a bargain.

Also I think it was a very big mistake to put 2nd class in such nice condition (7,5 out 10) at eBay.

But even bigger mistake was to put this ridiculous "May not ship to Russian Federation" inscription (the seller even made it in red :lol:)

By doing this he lost many potential buyers.

Good thing I don't need this type of breast star ;)

Sold for $5600?!

This is a good lesson to sellers "how not to sell".

As I said a big mistake...

A big mistake for seller, but what a bargain for buyer!

The asking price for such breast star (alone!) at one Chinese auction house was $14000.

The last one I saw (in pretty much the same condition) was sold for $7000!

Nick,

if it is any solace, it said will not ship to the Netherlands either. Indeed a bargain for this rare Golden Kite star with some bonus orders added. I wonder whether one of GMIC's US members was the lucky one.

Pieter

"Some" bonus?!

This bonus alone could cost $4500 or even more!!!

I know that he said it will not ship to Netherlands, UK, Russia, etc ...

Unbelievable dilettantism.

Ooooooo.....

These memories...

About the price I've paid ... :lol:

And the worst of it - it could be a dealer, who bought this set ...

Hope you are well dear Pieter and everything is well in old good hoofdstad!

Regards,

Nick

Nick,

if it is any solace, it said will not ship to the Netherlands either. Indeed a bargain for this rare Golden Kite star with some bonus orders added. I wonder whether one of GMIC's US members was the lucky one.

Pieter

Not me!!